Using Amateur Radios on Incident Ground

Including Digital Modes (DMR, P25, D-STAR, FUSION)
Mike Alpha

Re: Using Amateur Radios on Incident Ground

Post by Mike Alpha » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:04 pm

system_tech wrote:Ham gear modded for UHF CB band aint kosher either :-)

UHF CB radios are type approved for that service .. including 5 watts output. Even using commercial gear at 25 watts is a no-no. If you use commercial gear it must be power reduced to 5 watts on UHF CB channels. Some clever Programming Software won't let you break the rules - unless its hacked of course.

Ham gear outside the ham bands .. and exceeding the rated power for the service you are illegally transmitting on is double trouble .. but I think we all knew that anyway.
Of course we all knew that..... ;)

Mike

melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 am

guys this is an interesting topic that i have seen on a few forums around the net ......

the thing that i think that needs to be considered , is some of these radios that are "wide band " are coming from commercial sellers in our great land
John Remington
Melbourne Radio
To Many Radios to list
www.vk3xri.info

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:19 pm

ebay doesn't seem to want to do anything about the Chinese sellers online selling these radios but has not hesitation in telling me when I breach their policy for selling secondhand commercial radios.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm

What concerns me is members of some services (both paid and volunteer) advertising on internet forums (not this one - yet!) that they will program up radios with their service or other service frequencies, including TX. These people should know better.

Surely if you are not on duty and not issued a service radio you would have no need what so ever to have a radio with TX, and these people must realise that they shouldn't be doing this.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Well I hope I don't hear of anyone from my employer doing that as they will be in serious poo. Disciplinary action would just be for starters. Only the licensee has the authority to permit third party access to frequencies, so they are actually committing a LEGAL offence- and I would have not the slightest hesitation in reporting the person to the ACMA. Then I would let their commander/manager know. This is not a game- unauthorised people on emergency service frequency are a hazard to life, not just pests. The licensee also has obligations under their licence conditions to document third party approvals.

So my advice to these people is DON'T!

Cheers,

Richard