Foundation Licence

Including Digital Modes (DMR, P25, D-STAR, FUSION)
cokebottle

Foundation Licence

Post by cokebottle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has recently got their licence under the new scheme where the WIA is handling the call sign allocations, ie: after March this year

I took my assessment on 4th April & passed, the assessor sent off my paperwork to the WIA, then they sent me a letter back saying I needed to now send in a passport photo before they would release my certificate to me, at the time of filling out the forms with the assessor he was certain that I did not need a photo.

I sent off my photo & also rang the WIA to verify the next steps & they also informed me I needed to fill out a "call sign recommendation" form, which you pay $5 for a random call sign & $20.60 if you want a personalised one (which I wanted)

Now I am waiting for the WIA to send me back my certificate & call sign recommendation approval so I can then send in my apparatus licence application to the ACMA :roll:

I thought they were trying to get more people on air? not scare them off by making them jump through hoops :lol:

Michael
VK2FN.Q.L (Not Quite Legal)

cokebottle

Re: Foundation Licence

Post by cokebottle » Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Well I got my licence last week (07-05-09) & starting to get on air, my callsign is VK2FMJC & I hang out mostly on the Lawson 2m repeater -147.050, mostly portable on my FT-470 h/held this week as i am on holidays at home & doing a fair bit of walking or push bike riding, trying to walk off the excess fat from my honeymoon last week :roll: but next week will be back to work & using my FT-8800R mobile ;)

Michael
vk2fmjc

kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 am

Congratulations Michael,

You will have lots of enjoyment from the hobby. If I hear you on air I will give you a shout.

Regards

Kev

VK2KEV

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat May 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Congratulations Michael,

Like kev said, I hope you get lots of enjoyment in it as well. I’ve had my “F” callsign now since they came out, too lazy and busy to sit back down and study for an upgrade to Standard, may be next year.

I am in the Penrith area and monitor most of the Blue Mountains RPT’s - NARG 70cm 439.575, BMRC 70cm 438.375, WICEN Kurrajong Heights 439.825 and 147.325 (I think) based at Lawson.

As most of my trips are short around town, I usually monitor more then I do calling on, but I will keep an ear out.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

cokebottle

Post by cokebottle » Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 am

Hi, I have been hanging out on 147.050 BMARC Lawson the last week because I have been on holidays, back to work today :( so mobile between home (mid mountains) & work in the Penrith area, 147.325 is at Lawson & is run by the ATV group.

I might hear you on air.

Michael

alphamike

Obtaining an amateur license

Post by alphamike » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm becoming more and more interested in obtaining my amateur license. And meeting people that are amateur operators.
However i know nothing about it. My nearest club is at Terrey Hills.
What kind of costs and processes are involved? Also are there any freq's i could have a listen to? RX only ofcourse.

Regards,
Alex

cokebottle

Re: Obtaining an amateur license

Post by cokebottle » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm

alexMc wrote:I'm becoming more and more interested in obtaining my amateur license. And meeting people that are amateur operators.
However i know nothing about it. My nearest club is at Terrey Hills.
What kind of costs and processes are involved? Also are there any freq's i could have a listen to? RX only of course.

Regards,
Alex
Scan between 146.625 & 147.925 for the output of 2m repeaters & 438.025 to 439.975 for 70cm repeaters, the repeaters mentioned above are fairly active, also listen to 438.550/438.700 (Hurstville/Horsley park, 147.850 Woolongong, 146.800, Heathcote.

You should seek out a local club (Hornsby, HADARC?) to when/if they are holding a Foundation licence course, a basic knowledge of radio/electronics is all you need..... the cost to do the assesemnt with a club is $80, then $5 from the WIA to request a random callsign, or $20.60 for a preferred callsign (such as your intials, like I wanted) then once you get the paperwork back from the WIA you have to submit an application to ACMA for an apparatus licence (WIA gives you this) & you pay them $64 & you are on the air!

For more info about getting your licence go to www.wia.org.au

Regards

Michael