The VRA Changes its name

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
JAFO

The VRA Changes its name

Post by JAFO » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi all,

This was brought up on Tech Rescue, that the VRA NSW Inc has undergone a Name Change to 'NSW Rescue Services'.

Noticed one of the Penrith VRA Vehicles are now marked up as the NSW Rescue Service.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

cartman

Re: The VRA Changes its name

Post by cartman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 pm

I thought Penrith VRA folded - somebody reported that a couple of months ago

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Interesting website ( *Note: This site is run by the NSW Fire Brigade Employees' Union )

http://www.rescuepenrith.com/

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:58 pm

cartman wrote:I thought Penrith VRA folded - somebody reported that a couple of months ago
Grant
I think you will find that Penrith VRA voluntarily ceased their rescue accreditation but the squad is still operational as a "Major Incident Support Unit" similar to South Coast VRA who have been a Major Incident Support Unit for some time. SC VRA are not rescue accredited although they may have been some while ago.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:56 pm

system_tech wrote:
cartman wrote:I thought Penrith VRA folded - somebody reported that a couple of months ago
Grant
I think you will find that Penrith VRA voluntarily ceased their rescue accreditation but the squad is still operational as a "Major Incident Support Unit" similar to South Coast VRA who have been a Major Incident Support Unit for some time. SC VRA are not rescue accredited although they may have been some while ago.
Mal is Correct,

Penrith VRA only gave up their Primary Rescue Accreditation, so are no longer registered as a General Land Rescue Unit.

They intend to become a "Major Incident Support Unit" similar to South Coast VRA and have started trying to recruit new members for this role. Interesting, is that the local SES are used in this role already, so don’t know how the VRA will go getting called out by Police to undertake such role.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 am

Hi SystemTech
How south and how far back are you thinking regarding the South Coast VRA. The Bega VRA do MVA rescues, they did about a year ago at least.
Also just for everyones info as far as I know the Bega VRA has 2 rescue trucks, thats just from the callsigns I have heard. They may have other vehicles aswell.
Mark

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:48 am

Farsouthscanner wrote:
Hi SystemTech
How south and how far back are you thinking regarding the South Coast VRA. The Bega VRA do MVA rescues, they did about a year ago at least.
Also just for everyones info as far as I know the Bega VRA has 2 rescue trucks, thats just from the callsigns I have heard. They may have other vehicles aswell.
Mark
Mark,

I think Mal is referring to the Wollongong Based – South Cost VRA Squad, not Bega which is a separate VRA Squad altogether.

The Wollongong VRA Squad, which its correct name is “South Coast VRA”, did do Road Rescue leading up to 1990’s when the newly formed State Rescue Board introduced the Rescue Accreditation System across NSW. South Coast VRA lost their rescue role to the police and Ambulance in the Illawarra area.

Today the South Coast VRA Squad is still very active and operates as a Major Incident Support Unit in the Illawarra area, providing assistance to both the Police and SES in search & rescue operations and other duties as needed.

Edit: South Coast VRA Website added: http://www.freewebs.com/southcoastrescuesquad/
JAFO
VK2FGQ

Frank Costanza

Post by Frank Costanza » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:13 pm

JAFO wrote:
system_tech wrote:
Grant
Mal is Correct,

Penrith VRA only gave up their Primary Rescue Accreditation, so are no longer registered as a General Land Rescue Unit.

They intend to become a "Major Incident Support Unit" similar to South Coast VRA and have started trying to recruit new members for this role. Interesting, is that the local SES are used in this role already, so don’t know how the VRA will go getting called out by Police to undertake such role.
Grant

I imagine the Police will still use them alongside the SES for storm and tempest work, as they have traditionally done in the past. Failing that, the SES will probably request their assistance anyway, as history shows they usually need the extra hands on deck when something does go down in their area...

Cheers
Frank
"Serenity now!"

UBC60XLT - BCD396T

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 pm

Farsouthscanner wrote: Hi SystemTech
Mark
I think Grant (JAFO) has answered well, and I wasn't sure how long since SC VRA did actual rescues. It seems they didn't get accredited after the beginning of the SERM Act and the SRB. I know how it goes, I was in Campbelltown SES at the time, which was doing Road Rescue at request of police prior to the start of accreditation. Our accreditation was not "automatic" and although we did end up "accredited" I think it only lasted a few years until the until retired itself from general land rescue. Notably at the time the Camden Ambulance Rescue gained accreditation, and Police Rescue at Green Valley (Rescue 22) did not.

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi Grant and Mal.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Its good to see the South Coast squad fitting in with other organisations, hopfully Penrith will be able to do the same, I am sure around the cities there will be always something for them to do.
Mark