SES OSU59 & new COW

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: SES OSU59 & new COW

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:39 am

I can think of several reasons why it would be BASED in Grafton:

Firstly the North Coast CCEP budget paid for it (or most of it, I would guess that the SES' contribution to this particular setup is the Iveco) so it belongs on the North Coast, there are already other CoWs for other areas (3 that we we know of);

Secondly Grafton is a major centre roughly in the middle of the CCEP area so same distance to deploy in either direction;

Thirdly, I don't know if it's because there is a CoW based in Grafton, or if it's the reason the CoW is based there, but if you look at the map there is still a huge area around Grafton that doesn't have a site...

The only other area that sparsely populated is down around Wauchope, but that's the location of the last, as yet unlicenced, site that we're waiting on, somewhere around Innes View.

I wonder if that area around Grafton is a particularly difficult one to cover terrain-wise, and the CoW is a cheaper alternative to the number of extra sites they may have had to add to provide coverage otherwise?

Andrew

Scotty

SES OSU59 & new COW

Post by Scotty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 am

All would be valid points Andrew if the GRN was (or soon to be) operational, but it doesn’t make immediate sense to deploy it in Grafton at this time, when the GRN is likely 2 years away from wide use in the area.

By the time the GRN is online the lease may be up on the Iveco and it will be getting changed over without having much (any?) use, apart from promo vids...

The funding may only permit it to be used in that northern CCEP area, but even if that is the case it would be better based (for the time being) in the areas further south, where there actually is GRN coverage and it can be used.

Of course I’ve no idea what there future plans are, and am only commenting based on the (limited) info that is available re this CoW.

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:I can think of several reasons why it would be BASED in Grafton:

Firstly the North Coast CCEP budget paid for it (or most of it, I would guess that the SES' contribution to this particular setup is the Iveco) so it belongs on the North Coast, there are already other CoWs for other areas (3 that we we know of);

Secondly Grafton is a major centre roughly in the middle of the CCEP area so same distance to deploy in either direction;

Thirdly, I don't know if it's because there is a CoW based in Grafton, or if it's the reason the CoW is based there, but if you look at the map there is still a huge area around Grafton that doesn't have a site...

The only other area that sparsely populated is down around Wauchope, but that's the location of the last, as yet unlicenced, site that we're waiting on, somewhere around Innes View.

I wonder if that area around Grafton is a particularly difficult one to cover terrain-wise, and the CoW is a cheaper alternative to the number of extra sites they may have had to add to provide coverage otherwise?

Andrew
To add to this further

Grafton is the Region Headquarters for Clarence/Nambucca Region a large portion of the CCEP Project is in that region, it is also a rather heavy flood prone area and a very hard location to provide comms coverage for considering the terrain. i would imagine there will be additional CoWs to be deployed to each region (only guessing)
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 pm

BrisbaneScan wrote:........ i would imagine there will be additional CoWs to be deployed to each region (only guessing)
Could be a whole herd of them.....

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Well it's not in Grafton at the moment.

Sighted at a premesis in Sydney this morning. Possibly there to be branded :?:
My wife was much perplexed when I told her to chuck a U-ee, I just saw a cow I want to take a picture of.
She's all the wiser now she knows what a CoW is :roll:

Mike