RFS The Hills district going GRN

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
Mike Alpha

Re: RFS The Hills district going GRN

Post by Mike Alpha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:All the SORN 3k's around here were PURCHASED by the individual brigades, which is why they're still in service.
Andrew
So would they still have the encryption boards in them?

Mike

ob1309

Post by ob1309 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Not necessarily.

It *works* and has done for many years. GRN has been problematic, despite all the money that has been thrown at it.

Additionally, makes it easier for the switch between VHF Fireground and Fire1 for the tanker crew leaders.

Then there is the cost - XTS8000 is ~$4k - thats 5 VHF Icoms you can buy per Motorola.

The frequency is owned by The Hills Shire, so they're not paying fees per unit costs like GRN.

There are other advantages - its easier to tell when there are more than one unit trying to transmit.

The Comms Operators working at the console aren't going to clip themselves because they can't hear the chirp coming through on the Omnitronics console.

The VHF frequency gets deeper in to the creek lines so something, albeit scratchy in the deepest parts, gets out rather than the "below minimum threshold" lockout that the GRN gives you.

Also, when you want to buy new radios, you go get them. At the moment with the changes to the network, new radios can't be sourced. That's why you'll hear the stations coming up on air on Fire1, as the replacement GRN radio's can't be sourced.

Trust this provides a more accurate picture.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 am

Mike Alpha wrote: So would they still have the encryption boards in them?
I’m confident they never had them in the first place. Note also none of the SORN infrastructure (DIU3000s) had them either.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:58 am

ob1309 wrote: The frequency is owned by The Hills Shire,
It has been unlicensed for about 18 months now. Have a look on ACMA.

ob1309

Post by ob1309 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Make it slightly easier for me and show me would be appreciated. I am pretty sure that this is unknown to the RFS district.

tsunami_australia

Post by tsunami_australia » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 pm

ob do a database search for the frequency and see who actually still has it registered. I've heard a few business' using pirated frequencies up here including the security/cleaning of the local shopping centres.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:31 pm

ob1309 wrote:Make it slightly easier for me and show me would be appreciated. I am pretty sure that this is unknown to the RFS district.
It’s a bit hard to show something that doesn’t exist... ;) ;) ;)

Go to ACMA, put in 164.0875MHz, and you'll see that nothing is returned in NSW except for a license a few hundred KM away for the local council down at Sassafras (Shoalhaven City Council is the licensee)

The URL is https://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/regi ... .main_page - select "Find: Registrations" from the list, then "Where: Frequency" matches 164.0875 and click Go. You'll get about 20 licenses returned, and none of them are anywhere near the Hills district in Sydney.

Historically, Baulkham Hills Shire council paid for the licenses until they expired early last year. Since they weren't renewed within the grace period, ACMA have scrubbed them off their database.

The RFS are still happily using "Fire 1" and are none the wiser of course.

ob1309

Post by ob1309 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 pm

citabria wrote:
ob1309 wrote:Make it slightly easier for me and show me would be appreciated. I am pretty sure that this is unknown to the RFS district.
Thanks for providing the information - they are now.

OB

tsunami_australia

Post by tsunami_australia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:58 am

I heard "radio bench" making a heap of calls yesterday to central dispatch so I assume reprogramming is in action for a new profile. Question ... are the radio changes happening at the same time or only reprogramming?

I'm curious as well whether their upgrades intented include new 03 HHCH's or whether they just got the bricks and will only be swapping out the bricks leaving all the other connections and accessories the same (brick swap only would save a LOT of time and effort).

Was hearing one unit talking regularly yesterday to CD who was somehow chronically overdriving audio or something making seriously distorted. Did anyone else hear that? CD was crystal clear and the other unit much harder to understand.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm

ob1309 wrote:
citabria wrote:
Thanks for providing the information - they are now.

OB
Well, the wheels of bureaucracy have turned and the licenses have been updated - which is a very good thing for all involved. Probably the biggest benefit is that the RFS are now protected against any interference (intentional or unintentional) that may impact their service.

Nice!

Cheers,
Matt