Newcastle/Hunter TGs

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
tsunami_australia

Newcastle/Hunter TGs

Post by tsunami_australia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi all could someone please put up a list of active TGs for the lower hunter area. Being just in range of only Cabbage Tree it is a little hard to know which TGs to input for scan selection. I have Newcastle and OHUN ambulance sorted & lower hunter RFS sorted but cannot seem to get an active FRNSW TG off Cabbage Tree (tried a few) nor an active cityrail, buses or ferries TG.

On that subject is there any decent listening for cityrail and/or country trains?

I'd like to get a combo of TGs for transport that I can select should something out of the ordinary happen and ESPECIALLY want RFS + FRNSW + AMBO for Sydney and north (especially newie) that I can pick n choose the TGs for the area I'm in into the scan group.

Much appreciated if anyone is able to help with this.

cartman

Re: Newcastle/Hunter TGs

Post by cartman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 pm

The reason you arent hearing much is that a radio for a talkgroup has to be in the local area of Cabbage Tree to affiliate in order to broadcast off Cabbage Tree
Most traffic is what you are hearing .... ambos and RFS
No trains that far north except for ARTC
Ferries are in Sydney and only heard in the Sydney metropolitan area (most ferries are on GPT Site 148)
Buses dont use GRN whatsoever
FRNSW is patched PMR audio for the north coast beyond a certain point north of Newcastle (not sure where the transition point is between GRN and PMR)
However the listening situation will improve over the next 12-18mths as the GRN is being progressively rolled out up the North Coast of NSW
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

tsunami_australia

Post by tsunami_australia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi Cartman sorry for the late reply been a tad busy.

I'm aware that a radio needs to affiliate to hear something. I think it is Mayfield ambo station that links Cabbage Tree for Newcastle ambos and maybe Buladelah ambo station??? for OHUN. I'm aware FRNSW runs on PMR here and that currently is where I listen to them when I do. However I'm trying to prepare my radio for when I'm travelling south and also when the GRN eventually moves up through here.

Since I can't tell what is active in Newcastle from up here as we've already discussed I was hoping to get the active TG's for Newcastle and for transport in Newcastle and Sydney for that travel case and it's not easy when you don't live in the area.

And yes there are trains north to Dungog but they'd be running off Mt Arthur I'd imagine which is just out of my reach. Then from there it's all 450.050 I think the frequency was. I hear the XPT locking the doors etc on it at the local train station several blocks over and the XPT calling for "the road" (the gates to come down). I also hear the goods trains calling for the road as they seem to call it just after crew change on the local loop.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:58 pm

It wont be ambulance stations doing the affiliates it will be the control centres.
They do have a fairly good backbone which would provide the means to get the links to the PMR.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC