BWRS

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
Mike Alpha

BWRS

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Anyone know much about the Bushwalkers Widerness Rescue Squad??
http://www.bwrs.org.au/?q=about

"■Radio technicians and operators - Our primary communications system is HF radio which does not require line of sight. Using special techniques (NVIS) the Squad can communicate over long distances and/or into deep narrow gorges or canyons. We also use UHF radios where we have line of sight or repeaters."

Mike

WiLDRAGoN

Re: BWRS

Post by WiLDRAGoN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 pm

No, but their Contact Us page says that they are "an affiliate squad of the NSW Volunteer Rescue Association", and there are 4 pages of results on the ACMA database for them.

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/clien ... T_NO=41389

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

They have been around a long time!

Formed by keen bushwalkers in the 1930's, Paddy Pallin of the the camping store fame was one of the founders.

They affiliated with the VRA in the 70's.

For the last 15 years I have worked with BWRS assisting to provide communications for their annual Wilderness Rescue Navigation Shield event (in a different place each year), and for the last few years, assisting with comminications for their annual Barrington Tops SAR event /exercise. (Google VH-MDX).

BWRS have an agreement to use UHF frequencies of another VRA squad, as well as using UHF CB.

ST

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

they have a group who often assist with searches in Barrington Tops
Happily Scanning Since 1983

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:13 am

the BWRS are a nice bunch of guys they assist the Oxfam Trailwalker Sydney for a good 10 years i believe. CREST Qld has the lucky opportunity to work with them when we helped out in sydney for CREST NSW. and the other VRA Squad that they are using frequencies for will be CREST NSW.
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

BrisbaneScan wrote:the BWRS are a nice bunch of guys they assist the Oxfam Trailwalker Sydney for a good 10 years i believe. CREST Qld has the lucky opportunity to work with them when we helped out in sydney for CREST NSW. and the other VRA Squad that they are using frequencies for will be CREST NSW.
yep BWRS are agreat bunch.

For UHF they often use frequencies from another VRA group. I don't think they have CREST UHF in their radios.

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:42 am

ill have to have a chat to my interstate counterpart who is the Operations Director of CREST NSW very nice guy. i have heard the BWRS on the CREST NSW VHF High Band Frequency and also one of there VHF Mid Band which i know all VRA Squads have access to those channels. it is a very good channel plan that i have only ever seen once
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:42 pm

BWRS are currently assisting Police along with WICEN, SES and RFS in a search for a missing man in the Karrajong Heights region. The search is scheduled for the next 5 days and expected to be concluded on Wednesday 9th September.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT