digital change over

CodeOne

Re: digital change over

Post by CodeOne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks for your great list Harrold. I too would love to know what stations/frequencies belong to which vote group. I have a Simoco radio and would love to put the various vote groups into regions I travel through.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

C1.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:51 am

CodeOne wrote:Thanks for your great list Harrold. I too would love to know what stations/frequencies belong to which vote group. I have a Simoco radio and would love to put the various vote groups into regions I travel through. Thanks again for all your efforts. C1.
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Just wondering if you would post on a public forum that you dealt drugs? Or maybe had a backyard full of stolen motor vehicles?

So why advertise that you have a radio (probably authorised) capable of transmitting? If think the authorities don't read these forums, think again. I can assure you they most certainly do. And if you think you won't get caught because your name is hidden behind a nom de plume, think again. What makes it worse is when you tell everyone that you are going to program your radio with frequencies that you are not licenced for. The offence is further compounded when these frequencies are assigned to the emergency services. The natural suspicion is you are doing so for nefarious purposes, irrespective of whether you are or are not.

Like drugs, like stolen vehicles we all know it goes on, just like unlicenced radio use, so why advertise unlicenced radio operation? The penalties can be just as severe. The other outcome is that organisations that had not previously considered encryption will now do so. It will not be simple voice inversion or the like, it will be high level stuff like AES.

Think people, think very carefully about what you post and where you post it.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

harrold

Post by harrold » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Hello rustynswrail,

I am pretty sure that a vote group is also used with a scanner. After all, a vote group is just a few channels that carry the same information, just your radio picks the strongest signal. My scanner does this quite well. May I also say what is the purpose of this forum if we don't talk about what is available to listen to. I suppose back in the day Russel when scanners where are a bit iffy and everyone use to keep everything to them self. Does one not remember a certain book they published.

All the poster said that he had a Simoco radio and would like to put the vote channels on his radio, not that he wanted to call up the local car and ask them to pick up a pizza on the way to town.

I have taken a long time to work these channels out and have most of them correct, maybe next time I will keep it a secret.

Cheers Harry

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:38 pm

harrold wrote:Hello rustynswrail,
I am pretty sure that a vote group is also used with a scanner. After all, a vote group is just a few channels that carry the same information, just your radio picks the strongest signal. My scanner does this quite well. May I also say what is the purpose of this forum if we don't talk about what is available to listen to. I suppose back in the day Russel when scanners where are a bit iffy and everyone use to keep everything to them self. Does one not remember a certain book they published. All the poster said that he had a Simoco radio and would like to put the vote channels on his radio, not that he wanted to call up the local car and ask them to pick up a pizza on the way to town. I have taken a long time to work these channels out and have most of them correct, maybe next time I will keep it a secret. Cheers Harry
You are missing the point, which is programming commercial or amateur radios or any other two way radio with frequencies that you are not legally entitled to use. Then posting on a public forum what you are intending to do. Programming a scanner is an entirely different argument. And at no point in my previous post did I even mention the word 'scanner.' The use of a scanner is NOT covered by the Radiocommunications Act, the use of unlicenced equipment and unauthorised frequencies is. The previous poster made an admission that he potentionally intended breaching the law. If that was his intent, why advertise it? Say thanks for the list, if you really need to and move on. Finally if you want to keep things a secret then do so, that's your decision.

R

CodeOne

Post by CodeOne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Rusty. Hmmm, not sure where to go with this. I hear what you are saying. I think over the years this subject has gotten off track.
Back in the day and I do believe still, you can listen to whatever you like as long as its not over a telephone network. The means in which you do that are largely irrelevant, scanners, cb's with extended Rx etc.
There has been some noise on this and other forums recently about type approvals and the use of radio's capable of Txing or Rxing on LMR frequencies. The facts of this matter have become blurred in my opinion to the extent that i don't really know what is right or wrong anymore.

If I was a licenced amateur I am pretty sure the regs say persons can tx on any frequency they are allowed to by virtue of the licence with any radio they have as long as they (the operator) comply by the conditions of the licence. I don't think those same regulations prevent the operator from listening to other services on the radio.
The line has been blurred I think by forums like this where people get confused with type approval and other such terms that are applicable in some situations but not all.

Anyway, thats my take on the subject.
C1.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 pm

CodeOne wrote:Hi Rusty. Hmmm, not sure where to go with this. I hear what you are saying. I think over the years this subject has gotten off track.
Back in the day and I do believe still, you can listen to whatever you like as long as its not over a telephone network. The means in which you do that are largely irrelevant, scanners, cb's with extended Rx etc. There has been some noise on this and other forums recently about type approvals and the use of radio's capable of Txing or Rxing on LMR frequencies. The facts of this matter have become blurred in my opinion to the extent that i don't really know what is right or wrong anymore. If I was a licenced amateur I am pretty sure the regs say persons can tx on any frequency they are allowed to by virtue of the licence with any radio they have as long as they (the operator) comply by the conditions of the licence. I don't think those same regulations prevent the operator from listening to other services on the radio. The line has been blurred I think by forums like this where people get confused with type approval and other such terms that are applicable in some situations but not all. Anyway, thats my take on the subject. C1.
I am not arguing the rights or wrongs, blurred or clear, black, white or grey aspects. My statement was simple, program what you like, listen to what you want, just don't advertise the fact that you intend to program a two way radio of whatever origin with frequencies that are not yours, and in particular belonging to a government department, never mind an emergency service.

When did I mention Type Approval? When did I mention licenced amateur? When did I mention you could not listen? I don't give a rats backside about listening, or about how you do it. What I am saying is simple. Don't tell anyone you intend to program a two way radio with someone elses frequencies, that IS IT. Stop reading more into this than is intended!

R

CodeOne

Post by CodeOne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Rusty, I was only offering my take on the subject, not accusing you of "when did I mention this, when did I mention that" crap. I am interested in your point and I would hope you would take an interest in my reply from my point of view,nothing else. Anyway, too much energy spent on this subject already. I take your point.

Have a good day.

C1.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:24 pm

While I choose to believe that C1's intent was to program these freqs as RECEIVE ONLY there are other factors to consider...

It is a sad fact that the forum is a victim of it's own success and has attracted the attention of certain people whose only purpose for being here is not to contribute but to 'keep an eye' on the rest of us, but if you're doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide, which I believe was the philosophy behind C1's comment?

Unfortunately it is the view of some of these 'people' that we shouldn't be able to even listen at all, which is sad for a hobby that's been around since radio was invented. Remember that back at the dawn of radio, the traffic was all one-way and police vehicles for example were only ever fitted with receivers too!

Now climbing back onto my fence here, I do agree with Rusty that comments like C1's, when taken out-of-context as they almost always are, only serve to give these 'people' ammunition for their campaign to deny we hobbyists the ability to listen to anything at all.

Which brings us back to where we started...
rustynswrail wrote: ~ program what you like, listen to what you want, just don't advertise the fact ~

CodeOne

Post by CodeOne » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:43 am

Cheers Bigfella. Back to the good old days with exercise books full of secret frequencies and meeting in dark alleyways wearing trench coats and hats pulled down over our eyes. ;)
C1.

harrold

Post by harrold » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:26 pm

YEs I rememner those days and my secret freq I did not want to give up was the State Rail Authority Police on 487.600Mhz. Then one day in Cb Action there was an add from someone who is actually on this board, asked for frequencies for his book he was writing. Well off I sent my 487.600 and also the Fire brigade codes, ambulance codes, and a few other interesting things. All I can say, we all started from somewhere, soon we will have nothing to listen to at all.

Also I have seen adds on here that people are selling commercial radios with software to program these radio's, did this person make sure that who ever bought these radios, did in fact have some licence to operate these, in the bands that the radios transmitted.
I suppose it is like the guy who buys something to commit a crime, and it is just made easier for them to commit the offence, because someone who is just after a few bucks sells them a radio.

We all know and have heard of different people who do things they probably should not. At the end of the day we are responsible for our own actions, that really don't need comments from people who also act in a reckless way.

Why don't we just get back to talking about radio stuff,and not start suggesting that people are going to do something wrong.

This is a talk about AMBULANCE, not about what other people may or may not do to their radio's

Who never had a IC-U16 and programmed police RX into their radio's, I still have 3 U16's and 3 V16's but don't use them as the batteries are no good. When I was younger if you had a U16 you where the king.

here are a few examples names have been removed to protect persons on interest.

"Remember do whatever you want just keep it a secret"

Post a reply

First unread post • 11 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 12
FS: Wouxun KG-UV6D dual band handheld

I have for sale a brand new KG-UV6D dual band handheld. The features are;

Dual band monitor (VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF)

Frequency range:
VHF: 136-174 MHz
UHF: 400-480 MHz
FM: 76-108 MHz (RX only)

Asking $120.

I am clearing some of the excess two way radios that I have acquired recently.

1 X Motorola MTS2000 Model 1 48 channels, UHF 400-470 MHz, good condition, works perfectly, with battery, aerial and accessory cover, no charger, $50.

1 X Motorola MTS2000 Model 3 255 channels, UHF 400-470 MHz, very good condition, works perfectly, with battery, aerial and accessory cover, no charger, $100.

1 X HYT TC580 full keypad, 255 channels, UHF 400-470 MHz, as new condition, works perfectly, with battery, belt clip, aerial, software, programming cable, drop in charger, in original packaging can be programmed via front keypad $200.

Cheers Harrold