Wollongong & Katomba Comm's to Close

scanSydney
Site Admin

Re: Wollongong & Katomba Comm's to Close

Post by scanSydney » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Operators not very happy at the moment. Keeps asking why units who should be on 204 are coming through on 104.

Funniest so far is sending 261 to an AFA 1.5 hours away, with the supervisor soon coming on asking them if they usually attend jobs this far out - replying with a big "NO". Code 2 soon after. Seems like ESCAD isn't being very friendly at the moment...

Another interesting thing is, all stations giving Code 5's are being told to do them via telephone from now on. I'm assuming they haven't been told beforehand?

scanSydney
Site Admin

Post by scanSydney » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm still trying to get my head around all the patches currently in place - has anyone got an updated list?

From what I've gathered so far:
10101-10102-10103 are together.
10104-(10129-10130?) (hearing all of western and southern NSW on 10104, so those talkgroups don't seem to make sense for the south).

Where does 10115 (D204) come into it? It sounds like that's another channel they're pushing stations onto.

Completely lost at the moment.

EDIT: Hearing northern NSW on 10104, but only the operator side resulting in some stations cutting over...

CodeOne

Post by CodeOne » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:43 am

G'day all, Just to let you know, I am in Mildura Victoria, I am hearing Newcastle Firecom tonight. Appears only one side of the transmissions, then suddenly you hear the other side. We used to hear the link from Katoomba.

I am hearing this as the local NSW FR station is Wentworth. 494?? from memory.

Just now heard Pumper 500 call, then Firecom answered, silence........then Firecom saying Received, Channel Clear. Did not hear what P500 said. This has been the norm tonight. Hope they figure out what is patched and what isn't soon.
Cheers. CodeOne.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Wollongong & Katoomba Comms to Close

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:24 am

I actually heard a console operator in Sydney Comms acknowledge a call with "F.A.B.", guess he must be a Thunderbirds fan too! :lol:

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:30 am

He has used FAB for many years...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

CodeOne wrote:G'day all, Just to let you know, I am in Mildura Victoria, I am hearing Newcastle Firecom tonight. Appears only one side of the transmissions, then suddenly you hear the other side. We used to hear the link from Katoomba.

Just now heard Pumper 500 call, then Firecom answered, silence........then Firecom saying Received, Channel Clear. Did not hear what P500 said. This has been the norm tonight. Hope they figure out what is patched and what isn't soon.
Cheers. CodeOne.
I can explain that one for you... the operators have access to full duplex audio by holding their key/footswitch down. It keeps the channel up for them but mutes any incoming audio from being broadcast. It is a popular feature with some operators & has been around for a few years now.

Cheers,

Richard

cartman

Post by cartman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Found a reference about the Channel Operators + a short video

http://gov.cebit.com.au/nsw/emergency-s ... escue-nsw/

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 pm

ivahri wrote:
CodeOne wrote:G'day all, Just to let you know, I am in Mildura Victoria, I am hearing Newcastle Firecom tonight. Appears only one side of the transmissions, then suddenly you hear the other side. We used to hear the link from Katoomba.

Cheers. CodeOne.
I can explain that one for you... the operators have access to full duplex audio by holding their key/footswitch down. It keeps the channel up for them but mutes any incoming audio from being broadcast. It is a popular feature with some operators & has been around for a few years now.

Cheers,

Richard
What Richard has explained is very common here in Sydney and most of us riding the Trucks hate it, as when responding to incidents that other stations are already at, and the operators use the feature we can miss hearing a lot of information from crews already on site.

Although, it has it's good points too, one appliance can be transmitting a message and another at the same time can Send a "RED" and most times the Comm's Operators seem to hear the "RED" being called, and give that callsign channel priority.

You have to take good with the bad I guess
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi Grant,

Thanks for that feedback... I've been working on the P25 PMR design & one of the features being included is full duplex links from the operator to the base stations to give them operator over-ride the same as they have on the GRN. I believe Police have the same capability (so I was told by a Police tech) but I don't know if they use it.

Cheers,

Richard

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Wollongong & Katoomba Comms to Close

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep, police dispatchers have had this one-way duplex feature for as long as I can remember, well back into the deep dark analogue past. If you turn the volume up really loud you can still here the audio coming from the cars even if the console operator is still pressing the FTSW although I'm not sure if that may simply be their boom mic picking up audio from their own headset?

Andrew