Katoomba Comms

Garry

Katoomba Comms

Post by Garry » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:49 pm

there is lots of talk in the ranks of FRNSW that Katoomba Comms is to close. I wonder which ComCen would take over ??
Happily Scanning Since 1983

ivahri

Re: Katoomba Comms

Post by ivahri » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 pm

It is a matter of public knowledge that Wollongong & Katoomba are closing some time in 2012 being replaced by upgraded centres at Alexandria & Newcastle. These will not be geographically based any more- each centre will be the mirror image of the other capable of doing anything the other can.

I'm not buying in to the political/industrial aspects or stating a view- just answering your question with a straight bat.

Cheers,

Richard

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi all, would that mean the xxxxxx comms callsign would go too, ie Wollongong comms, and be replaced by something more generic like Comcen?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I guess it will but I think there are bigger challenges still in front of them...

cokebottle

Post by cokebottle » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 pm

There was a story in this weeks Blue Mountains Gazette about this, the council is fighting closure citing the recent storm events in the mountains & the need to retain local knowledge etc...

http://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/ ... 39582.aspx

I agree that each area should have its own regional communications facility, what's the use of having a call centre in Newcastle etc when the links are down due to extended power outage/broken infrastructure?

Michael

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:12 pm

cokebottle wrote:There was a story in this weeks Blue Mountains Gazette about this, the council is fighting closure citing the recent storm events in the mountains & the need to retain local knowledge etc...
I agree that each area should have its own regional communications facility, what's the use of having a call centre in Newcastle etc when the links are down due to extended power outage/broken infrastructure? Michael
And of course the rare earthquake that took out all radio comms, albeit VHF at the time.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:10 am

I'm not going to buy into this but the whole issue of "local knowledge" is a furphy- the local knowledge resides on the appliance, not in the Comcen. Besides that the technology that a modern CAD system provides gives even a remotely located operator more information than could ever be provided to a whole lot of little Comcens. That technology costs money. I doubt many of you ever saw what existed before the existing 4 centres were built- at Turvey Park, Albury, and Lismore. You talk about local knowledge... an operator sitting behind an Omnitronics console & a telephone. If the phone went down the guy may as well go for a smoke... they were a total joke, an embarrassment- but they were local!

FBEU + the left wing Blue Mountains Council vs the Liberal State Government... kind of predictable ain't it? I'd be surprised if they didn't pick a fight. It doesn't mean that they have a valid argument...

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 am

rustynswrail wrote:
cokebottle wrote:There was a story in this weeks Blue Mountains Gazette about this, the council is fighting closure citing the recent storm events in the mountains & the need to retain local knowledge etc...
I agree that each area should have its own regional communications facility, what's the use of having a call centre in Newcastle etc when the links are down due to extended power outage/broken infrastructure? Michael
And of course the rare earthquake that took out all radio comms, albeit VHF at the time.

R
Rusty,

If it took out the VHF it would have done so via the copper wire. The radio up at Sugarloaf & Cabbage Tree were simplex in those days. The base sites themselves didn't die. If it happened today even if one centre was taken out the other centre will take over, and none of that precludes use of ICV's, local EOCs and the like if needed. They could operate from at least three EOCs around Newcastle if such an event happened.

Cheers,

Richard

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:49 am

ivahri wrote:I doubt many of you ever saw what existed before the existing 4 centres were built- at Turvey Park, Albury, and Lismore. You talk about local knowledge... an operator sitting behind an Omnitronics console & a telephone. If the phone went down the guy may as well go for a smoke... they were a total joke, an embarrassment- but they were local!

Cheers,

Richard
Not to mention Fire 000 in the Macarthur area (ie South West Sydney towards Southern Highlands) going to the watchman at 88 Station Campbelltown. If the appliances were out he had no back up, going for smoke, a leak etc became problematical if it was a busy day. If the radio and the phone were busy, no back up.

Realistically,the Police has become more centralised with comms also. The Govt is looking for savings everywhere. Closing a couple of shiftwork centres helps meet that goal. Unfortunate as it may be to some, it is the way things are.

S_T

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:57 pm

system_tech wrote: ~ Realistically,the Police has become more centralised with comms also. The Govt is looking for savings everywhere. Closing a couple of shiftwork centres helps meet that goal. Unfortunate as it may be to some, it is the way things are. S_T
With RFS going the same way, ie all operational comms eventually moving to Homebush, it will be interesting to see how individual districts justify having so many paid staff once that happens too?

Andrew