Name Change - Fire and Rescue NSW

centralcoastscanman

Re: Name Change - Fire and Rescue NSW

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:36 am

Scotty,

sorry but the RTA are the agency that created that piece of legislation and are responsible in conjunction with NSW Police for road safety...

The document is still very current that stipulates who can have what colours of flashing lights on their vehicles...

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 am

centralcoastscanman wrote:Scotty,

sorry but the RTA are the agency that created that piece of legislation and are responsible in conjunction with NSW Police for road safety...

The document is still very current that stipulates who can have what colours of flashing lights on their vehicles...
The NSW Parliament created the legislation, not the RTA mate. They are just a govt agency, however as you say they may indeed help to enforce the legislation with others like the police, but they certainly didn't create it!

The RTA document is just a review of the Act itself, and inded the latest one from this years is now current (finally!). Have a read of the latest one at the link below, it specifically states the legislation it refers to:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2010.pdf

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:02 am

thanks for the link. It is good that this version has clarified alot of points that were left up in their air last time especially with regards to the Magenta lights...

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:21 am

Scotty wrote:
centralcoastscanman wrote:Scotty,
sorry but the RTA are the agency that created that piece of legislation and are responsible in conjunction with NSW Police for road safety...The document is still very current that stipulates who can have what colours of flashing lights on their vehicles...
The NSW Parliament created the legislation, not the RTA mate. They are just a govt agency, however as you say they may indeed help to enforce the legislation with others like the police, but they certainly didn't create it! The RTA document is just a review of the Act itself, and inded the latest one from this years is now current (finally!). Have a read of the latest one at the link below, it specifically states the legislation it refers to:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2010.pdf
While the parliament draft the legislation (Act and Regulations) and ultimately control its passage through the process to ascent, certain departments have control of the regulations once they become law. Regs do not need parliamentary ascent. Only the Act needs parliamentary readings to be amended. For example the Rail Safety Act Regulations are managed by the Independant Rail Safety Regulator, the Road Transport Regulations are managed by the RTA. If I am not mistaken vehicle equipment is part of the regulations. Therefore the RTA do control what lights can be fitted to what vehicle.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 pm

thats what I thought but since i wasn't 100% sure was not going to go into too much more detail...

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Getting back to the original topic (and yes, I take full responsibility for sending us off it)...

I'd actually like to see the costings on how much money it's going to take for something as simple as a name change? When you start thinking about everything that needs altering I reckon it will be a huge task...

Station signage, vehicles, uniforms, equipment, stationery, even frequency licences... the list goes on and on!

Andrew

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 pm

to give you some sort of indication, when central coast health and northern sydney health merged a fair few years ago.. it cost about $10 million or so i'm told to get all the stationary re-printed and other stuff changed...

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:37 pm

yeah but according to this government money is no object :)
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 pm

yeah, thats about all i will say on that as I am still employed by a nsw government agency so don't wanna bite the hand that feeds me...

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Cost overall for the name change will be minimal to some degree. Part of the $10M Coast mentioned by the Opposition also includes the Rollout of New TurnOut Gear which is being phased-in over a 2 year period starting in February Next year. The New Turnout Gear is being replaced due to New Australian Standards concerning Firefighting PPE.

Fleet wise only New Appliances and those undergoing Mid Life Service will have the New Markings added. Uniform Wise Old Stocks of Dress and Station Wear Uniforms will be exhausted before New Badged Items are issued, and Ordering Controls will be tightened up to stop individuals over ordering uniforms with the anticipation of getting New Marked Gear.

So in realty is you will still see Appliances, Current Turnout Gear, Station Wear and Dress Uniforms getting about for another 3 – 4 maybe even 5 years before the Old NSW Fire Brigades Name totally disappears.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT