Name Change - Fire and Rescue NSW

JAFO

Name Change - Fire and Rescue NSW

Post by JAFO » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 am

FIREFIGHTERS in NSW are getting a new name, reflecting the fact they often do more rescuing than fight fires.
From January 1, NSW Fire Brigades will be renamed Fire and Rescue NSW.

NSW Emergency Services Minister Steve Whan said that in the past year NSW firies carried out 9800 rescues, compared with 7500 "structures fires".

"These rescues have included helping people in car accidents, industrial, confined spaces or height rescues, rescues from building collapses as well as animal rescues," Mr Whan said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/b ... 5972504860

Sorry about the Crest image size guys
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Scotty

Re: Name Change - Fire and Rescue NSW

Post by Scotty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am

I've heard talk of this for a while now and saw the same article this morning. A far more acurate name, but i wonder if there will be any confusion now with the 'FRS' and the 'RFS'?

vk2fear

Post by vk2fear » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Call sign:VK2FEAR
SCANNING WITH:
FT8800 x2 - FT60 - UBC245XLT - UBC120 - UBC72XLT - UBC780xlt - UBCD396T -
UBCD996T x2 - TX-3800 x2 - T-2020 66/88mhz X 4 - T-2010 66/88mhz x4 - TS-480 sat

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm a traditionalist so I'm sad to see the name go after such a long proud history. Still, time moves on and the role of the organisation has evolved just in the 15 years I've witnessed things.

Cheers,

Richard

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:57 pm

buuutttt,,,, by using the word "RESCUE" on their vehicles, arent they are in contravention of the State Rescue Policy which states that ONLY Accredited Rescue Units (and the majority of their vehicles are not accredited rescue units) can display the word "RESCUE' on their vehicles ?
Happily Scanning Since 1983

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 pm

You have a valid point Garry as I recall a few years ago all SES units that were not SRB acredited were told they had to change their callsign from resue xxx to responder xxx and remove any reference to the word rescue from their trucks....

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:26 pm

And wasn't it also that only rescue vehicles were allowed to display a blue flashing light as well? Response only vehicles had to make do with only red flashing lights?

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 pm

SO there is BBQ Rescues vans on NSW roads which are not SRB acredited!! :) :)

http://www.bbqrescue.com.au/
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:And wasn't it also that only rescue vehicles were allowed to display a blue flashing light as well? Response only vehicles had to make do with only red flashing lights?
There is an RTA document that clearly states what types of vehicles are allowed to have what coloured Beacons...

fyi according to the RTA regulations the local council rangers aren't supposed to have Magenta flashing lights, but i believe RTA don't want to goto war with every single council in the state so they have let it slide...

I know RNS Hospital security have red flashing lights on their security vehicle, not sure how they got away with it and not sure if its still on the vehicle as i've not worked there for over 18 months...

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:52 am

Garry wrote:buuutttt,,,, by using the word "RESCUE" on their vehicles, arent they are in contravention of the State Rescue Policy which states that ONLY Accredited Rescue Units (and the majority of their vehicles are not accredited rescue units) can display the word "RESCUE' on their vehicles ?
The word 'RESCUE' is allowed if it is part of their name, even if they are not a 'rescue' unit - eg is "NSW Police Rescue and Bomb Disposal/NSW Police Rescue". They have one of those combinations plastered over all their vehicles, even the ones not used for rescue.

The SES problem somebody mentioned was different, as the word 'RESCUE' was not part of their name and was being used to signify the vehicle undertook rescue work, when in many cases that was not the case - hence the change to 'RESPONSE'.
centralcoastscanman wrote:
Bigfella237 wrote:And wasn't it also that only rescue vehicles were allowed to display a blue flashing light as well? Response only vehicles had to make do with only red flashing lights?
There is an RTA document that clearly states what types of vehicles are allowed to have what coloured Beacons...

fyi according to the RTA regulations the local council rangers aren't supposed to have Magenta flashing lights, but i believe RTA don't want to goto war with every single council in the state so they have let it slide...
Nah, the RTA have nothing to do with beacon colours, that comes under NSW legislation. There are a couple of RTA docs which used to interpret who is allowed what, but all are well out of date compared to the current laws. Under the legislation council vehicles etc are allowed magnetta and vertually everybody else (as in emergency services) nowadays can use red and blue coloured lights.

Relevent legislation is the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 - as mentioned, nothing to do with the RTA.