NSWFB P25 TalkGroups

ivahri

Re: NSWFB P25 TalkGroups

Post by ivahri » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Hey no problem... if you don't want me to share information I'll keep it to myself...

Cheers,

Richard

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Well I for one appreciate what you bring to the forum Richard, I have to say I'm just as interested in the technology as listening to what's broadcast over it (if not more so)!

I put a LOT of time into this forum with the lists I maintain and I do hope to get something back from it, so I am very thankful for your input.

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks Andrew- and I do appreciate the amount of work you guys do. Putting together the data you have takes serious hard work. Hopefully if we can all continue to work together to help people better understand what this all means & how things actually work we will all be better off.

Cheers,

Richard

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

On a different note, did anyone else notice that control channel encryption was removed from the P25 specifications?

What a good change that was!!

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Not sure how that relates to the subject but...

Whether it is "removed" from the Standards or not it is a feature available now. P25 is a standard that defines certain parameters & features but allows manufacturers latitude to add further features so long as it doesn't conflict with those that are defined. Encryption of the trunking control channels is in the class of features that can be included by vendors as an option.

Time will tell if it comes to NSW. I personally hope it does even if that upsets people here. The option if it doesn't happen is Phase II or TETRA, either of these is TDMA & with limitations that will cost the NSW taxpayer even more money.

Cheers,

Richard

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:28 pm

yeah but if it aint broke leave it alone?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 pm

There would be advantages of encrypting the control channel such as making it even harder for illegal radios to make their way onto the grn...

I don't work for a govt agency anymore but i'd imagine it would still be very easy with the right equipment and know how to put an illegal radio on any EMS talkgroup and cause havoc...

If it was not for the wanker element i'd say the government would have no need to look at these types of options, but while there are idiots out there essentially playing with people's lives they need to do whatever it takes to make sure it does not happen...

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:28 pm

ivahri wrote:Hey no problem... if you don't want me to share information I'll keep it to myself...

Cheers,

Richard

I can say for sure I do enjoy what you do have to post Richard, as it adds a new dimension to scanning and having an understanding of how things work...

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm

yeah bit harder than turning up with a XTS5k with FPP and hoping for the best. only so far that you can go. youll get caught eventually, most likely in a blue singlet :)
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Heard the test too between ACT and NSW on Friday on D307. it sounded good. im guessing this is a cross border thing?
what will be used for though?
cheers
Matt?
VK2MRC