NSWFB P25 TalkGroups

Longreach

Re: NSWFB P25 TalkGroups

Post by Longreach » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi all, Richard while we may be 'just a scanner enthusiast(s)' we do take our hobby seriously. now if we see something we report it or at least discuss it. something we may see on a site you may not know about so it may be inportant or as you said could be nothing.
I for one apprechiate that there is probably a lot going on right now, but it could be the case that patches changing constantly could lose areas and/or people?
at the end of the day its just information it may be useful it may be useless?
i think though as 'scanner enthusiasts' we may be in a better position to explain a problem if there is one.
as you said we've been useful in the past.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Matt,

I didn't mean it as a put down Matt, just that I hope you can appreciate that some things that may appear serious to a scanner user might not be to the actual radio users. Let me tell you just today I've been working on far more serious issues that actually are impacting on operations but we just deal with it- if it comes up here I'm happy to share with you some of the background but if you guys don't notice it I tend to just let it pass unmentioned.

It certainly isn't useless information...

Cheers,

Richard

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks Richard,

No offense taken, I knew you would be pretty busy at the moment and I didn't mean to suggest that you down tools and rush down to the 'Gong or anything, it was just something that didn't seem right and we thought it was worth bringing to light? (BTW, it hasn't happened again in the last 36 odd hours anyway!)

I didn't think about the PMR traffic adding to the loading on some of the smaller P25 GRN sites, it's a good point, at least until all sites are back to capacity?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:19 am

Hi all, fair enough point taken, as i siad if we see it well report it.
now this serious issue woldnt have anything to do with why the sydney TG's were garbled yesterday and the comms oerator was complaining that appliances coulnt be heard properly?
seems to happen occasionally too on the wollonong TG's too?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:37 am

One of a couple... yes the new IP link is having a few teething problems. I'm not involved in that headache but it has been described to me as a "clocking" problem. Basically the link is losing sync at times. They have back-up radios they can switch to & I have seen them switching between these & the links over the past few days.

Cheers

Richard

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi all, no worries. did i hear correctly today that there is new DISREC TG's availaible in the gong?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Well there has to be... the old ones are on the 4.1 network. They aren't in the radios yet (which is why I'm kinda busy...).

I better explain that a bit more fully... Each "Disrec" is, in terms of radio resource, a single site trunking system. There are 16 used which means there are 17 trunking systems in these radios. The total capacity of the radio is 20. So you can't have both the P25 & 4.1 Disrecs programmed in to a radio simultaneously. That limitation was known & recognised more than a year ago so all of what we are doing was planned & budgeted for. What I am in the process of doing is setting up "dual" capability at the Comcen end- by bridging a radio on 4.1 to a radio on P25 & both of these to the operator console. Moto now can go & reprogram the radios for the P25 Disrecs without any loss of Disrec capability while they are doing it.

But we are finding a few network "bugs" at the moment... hopefully these will be fixed in the next few days.

Cheers,

Richard

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:13 pm

ivahri wrote: ~ Each "Disrec" is, in terms of radio resource, a single site trunking system. There are 16 used which means there are 17 trunking systems in these radios. The total capacity of the radio is 20. So you can't have both the P25 & 4.1 Disrecs programmed in to a radio simultaneously. ~ Cheers, Richard
Interesting... I assume this is to force each DISREC talkgroup to only affiliate with the site for which it is intended?

But how do you create a profile for this when the sites are still switching control channels as part of the migration process?

Andrew

P.S. Happy St Paddy's day!

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 am

Andrew,

That is correct.

The 16 sites are quarantined from changes in control channel. They can use either the original primary or back up but they must use either one. Moto know that & work within that restriction. In terms of the profile there is no problem- as I've posted a few times now the final control channels were always going to be the old 4.1 control channels.

Cheers,

Richard

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 am

Longreach wrote:Hi all, Richard while we may be 'just a scanner enthusiast(s)' we do take our hobby seriously. now if we see something we report it or at least discuss it. something we may see on a site you may not know about so it may be inportant or as you said could be nothing.
I for one apprechiate that there is probably a lot going on right now, but it could be the case that patches changing constantly could lose areas and/or people?
at the end of the day its just information it may be useful it may be useless?
i think though as 'scanner enthusiasts' we may be in a better position to explain a problem if there is one.
as you said we've been useful in the past.
cheers
Matt

That's right, after all this is a scanning forum, not friggin BatLabs...