Incident Ground channels

Farsouthscanner

Re: Incident Ground channels

Post by Farsouthscanner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Ah ok, that explains it. The tech is now at Moruya 384. Also everytime I have heard them they have still been on PMR

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm

NSC radio techs are doing lots of test on Newcastle Comms tg today
Happily Scanning Since 1983

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Farsouthscanner wrote:Ah ok, that explains it. The tech is now at Moruya 384. Also everytime I have heard them they have still been on PMR
Mark,

They need to be as the Comms centre is still connected to the analogue GRN (can't run both simultaneously). The very last thing that happens before the big switch over is the Comms centre switch over.

Cheers,

Richard

criten

Post by criten » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I would've thought they'd just patch the analog and digital TGs together. Although that probably wouldn't work that great with their Moto terminals.

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Richard. I thought they might have done a quick GRN test while they were doing the radio checks but if the Comms centre isn't ready it would make it a bit difficult to do.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:06 pm

ivahri wrote: ~ The patch has been removed (long story) so they are using "multiselect". ~ Richard
Damn multi-select... I really hate one-sided conversations!
Farsouthscanner wrote:Ah ok, that explains it. The tech is now at Moruya 384. Also everytime I have heard them they have still been on PMR
Yep, Pommy Lee seems to be working his way down the coast today, he's due in Narooma (Station 398) right about now? I'm over the wee waa wee waa "EA RECEIVED" though...
ivahri wrote: ~ the Comms centre is still connected to the analogue GRN (can't run both simultaneously). The very last thing that happens before the big switch over is the Comms centre switch over. ~
Hmm, that will make it interesting in November... I know the two systems can't run side-by-side on the same console but couldn't a talkgroup extender (aka Smartbridge) be used to quasi-patch the two networks together on a talkgroup by talkgroup basis in the interim?

I would happily take one of the surplus smartbridges off your hands once the changeover is complete!

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:12 pm

criten wrote:I would've thought they'd just patch the analog and digital TGs together. Although that probably wouldn't work that great with their Moto terminals.
They can't do that because the AEB is at the old NOCC, not the new... don't get me in to explaining the Centracom architecture, it makes my head hurt. Each console can only talk to one EAB at a time.

Temporarily they are doing some talkgroup patches using BIMs but remember BIMs are an analogue 4W device- no emergency call can go through it (much like a Smartbridge). That is not something anyone likes doing unless there is no option.

Cheers,

Richard
Last edited by ivahri on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:16 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:
Hmm, that will make it interesting in November... I know the two systems can't run side-by-side on the same console but couldn't a talkgroup extender (aka Smartbridge) be used to quasi-patch the two networks together on a talkgroup by talkgroup basis in the interim?

I would happily take one of the surplus smartbridges off your hands once the changeover is complete!

Andrew
Andrew,

They are doing it via BIM to BIM patch which really is what a Smartbridge does. Ugly but desperate times call for desperate measures.

You will have to beat one of our techs driving his red 4WD over the top of them... make good wheel chocks.

Cheers,

Richard

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:51 pm

ivahri wrote: ~ You will have to beat one of our techs driving his red 4WD over the top of them... make good wheel chocks. ~
:o :? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Farsouthscanner wrote: ~ I thought they might have done a quick GRN test while they were doing the radio checks but if the Comms centre isn't ready it would make it a bit difficult to do.
Still, it would've been nice for somebody at Wollongong Comms to have a portable sitting on a desk on a P25 talkgroup so he could do a quick radio check on the new GRN (seeing as we only have P25 GRN down the coast here now)?

Andrew