NSWFB - firefighting helmets

news

NSWFB - firefighting helmets

Post by news » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:26 am

Interesting....

LINK: http://www.radiocomms.com.au/news/72080 ... t-in-comms

MSA Australia has been selected as the preferred supplier of new structural firefighting helmets and in-built communication systems to Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW). This tender for firefighter helmets is one of the largest of its kind in the world.

In the coming months, MSA Australia will supply the Gallet F1 XF Structural Fire Helmet to more than 6800 fire officers located around New South Wales.

The new equipment features in-built radio technology and lighting, which provides firefighters with greater protection and clearer communications during emergency situations.

The new helmets enable firefighters to clearly communicate with each other, even when wearing self-contained breathing apparatus.

“We are very honoured and humbled to have this opportunity to help protect those who protect us each and every day,” said Victor Vendetti, managing director for MSA Australia.

The new helmets also provide firefighters with greater protection from heat and falling debris. In addition to an integrated communications system, the F1 XF helmet includes other innovative features such as lighting and adjustable eye protection.

“The NSW Government is committed to ensuring that our firefighters have the best equipment available to them and has committed more than $7 million to this project,” said Stuart Ayres, Minister for Police and Emergency Services.

“An extensive process was undertaken to identify the best product on the market and we know that we’ve achieved a great result,” Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins said. “Fire officers have to deal with life-threatening situations on a daily basis, and they deserve the best protection money can buy.

“What’s more, the new ‘jet style’ helmets look quite different, and the level of protection they provide is a generation above the current style of helmet, first adopted in 1993.”

The in-built radio communications equipment means that it will be easier for officers to hear each other at emergency scenes and to communicate about complex firefighting and rescue operations - this can quite literally mean the difference between life and death.

The rollout of the new helmets will begin in March, with the majority of FRNSW’s 6800 fire officers scheduled to receive their new helmets by the end of June

JAFO

Re: NSWFB - firefighting helmets

Post by JAFO » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm

And with theses jet style helmets and all this technology . . . the simple things come to mind, will I still be able to hear the person standing next to me talking ? without radio communication use
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:57 am

6 years on . . . these helmets are the most expensive over rated Helmet I've ever been issued with.

Can't lower the Visor to protect One's SCBA Musk.

Can't find the LED Light Switch with Gloves on

Takes about an Hour to replace a damaged visor, which puts you off line as you don't have a complete serviceable PPE Kit

I think I've only ever used the Helmet's Speaker/Mic System twice, if using it I end up switching the radio off so I can hear My Team Mate inside jobs . . . voice Comm's between us inside is more critical to Me. The boom mic is always tucked away at the back on my helmet and the Helmet System is never pugged into the radio . . . a couple Officers have pulled me up a coupe times about it, and once I say I can't hear my partner in side due to all the crap on the radio . . . they go quiet and say no more.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Post by Mr Flibble » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:26 pm

Hopefully the RFS don't make the same mistake then.

A survey went out a couple of months ago seeking BA operators opinions on a new RFS structural helmet to replace the Bullard.

Comms in helmets are probably the least of our worries when you consider the audio quality and range of the latest round of VHF ICOM fireground radios we're stuck using though... Quite often can't understand anything anyone says 100m away from me in the bush let alone inside a structure.

100% agree communication between you and your buddy inside is more important than hearing comms inside your helmet.