"Tango" Callsign Suffix

Scotty

"Tango" Callsign Suffix

Post by Scotty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Been hearing Pumper 67 use the callsign "P067 Tango".

I see from another thread P067 is down in Victoria. Is the "Tango" suffix an indicator another pump is currently working in its place?

Chrisco

Re: "Tango" Callsign Suffix

Post by Chrisco » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 pm

heard pump 53Tango today on chD101
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 am

P053 was another station that went down to Vic, so kind of works with that original theory of a 'fill in' pump.

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 am

So "T" maybe a suffix for "temporary" or similar?

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Post by Mr Flibble » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:51 am

The "T" suffix is indeed to indicate that the appliance is an SEV fleet appliance for the station while their normal truck is down in Victoria.

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Mr Flibble wrote:The "T" suffix is indeed to indicate that the appliance is an SEV fleet appliance for the station while their normal truck is down in Victoria.
Why not just send the fleet trucks down to victoria ?

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Post by Mr Flibble » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:05 pm

There are numerous reasons behind why. One being that the newer trucks are more reliable and it's easier to replace a truck with one from Greenacre if it's this side of the border.

Also when MFB sent us trucks in October they didn't just grab a bunch of old fleet vehicles and send them up.

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Mr Flibble wrote:Also when MFB sent us trucks in October they didn't just grab a bunch of old fleet vehicles and send them up.
So it's a case of mine is bigger than yours ? :) hehe

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Post by Mr Flibble » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:56 am

Straight from the boss...

I would like to thank the dozens of officers and firefighters who have deployed to Victoria to assist our colleagues in their time of need. The Victorian Fire Services Commissioner Craig Lapsley and the Chief Officer of the Country Fire Authority, Euan Ferguson, have both on a number of occasions expressed their gratitude to me for the crucial assistance provided by FRNSW. In particular, Chief Officer Ferguson has visited a number of fire stations where we have staff and been very impressed with the professionalism of everyone he met.

Last night Victorian authorities submitted a formal request for FRNSW to continue the current deployment until 31 March, at which time it is expected that we will demobilise and send resources back to their home stations after being checked and serviced. Our Compressed Air Foam System (CAFS) pumper from 31 Busby continues to do an outstanding job at the Hazelwood Mine fire, which has been brought under control. I flew over the appliance when it was at work when I visited Victoria at the request of Commissioner Lapsley recently and saw just how effective it was.

I know that in the initial stages of the deployment come concerns were expressed about sending appliances from stations, and replacing them with “Tango” appliances, some of which needed additional inventory items. The rationale was as follows:

- We needed to ensure that the appliances we sent were the most reliable in the fleet
- We were unsure of how much back up the crews would have in the various locations, and therefore we needed to ensure the appliances had full inventories
- Stations in Sydney always have back-up available, so any inventory deficiencies could be covered by other stations
- We did not want our crews to be seen driving around Victoria in SEV appliances, some of which are not in the current livery with still showing “NSW Fire Brigades” on the side – we felt it best to portray our service as professionally as possible.

My thanks to everybody for their understanding and patience in this regard. My thanks also to the many senior officers who have worked very long hours organising flight schedules, pick ups, briefings and debriefs. It has been a major effort all round, but one that we have “taken in our stride”. I am very proud of the efforts of all of the operational and support units who have made this possible.

Greg Mullins AFSM
Commissioner

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:16 am

as far as i can work out the Tango callsign is 'temporary apliance. saw that AP47 is working in vic on secondment, however heards AP47 Tango on the NSW GRN
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC