NSW firefighters seek chunky phones

matthewn1983

NSW firefighters seek chunky phones

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 am

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/318900,ns ... hones.aspx
Fire and Rescue NSW has blamed consumer IT trends for its difficulty sourcing mobile phones for firefighters.

The agency is looking to deploy a fleet of ruggedised tablets and "big, chunkier" mobile phones to improve communications between station commanders and emergency vehicles.
Interesting article, but wouldn't a touch screen+keyboard MDT style setup (Panasonic Tough or similar) in trucks be a good option? Can be developed as such as selecting a tab, Despatch, MSDS, Mapping and Hydrant data, can be run over the 3G or 4G/LTE network? Not sure an Ipad or Android tablet is going to be such a medium-long term option.

ivahri

Re: NSW firefighters seek chunky phones

Post by ivahri » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 pm

When you have people from an IT background playing communications "expert" it can only end in tears. There are so many issues with this idea but some people can't see past buying new toys.

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:15 pm

matthewn1983 wrote:http://www.itnews.com.au/News/318900,ns ... hones.aspx
Fire and Rescue NSW has blamed consumer IT trends for its difficulty sourcing mobile phones for firefighters.

The agency is looking to deploy a fleet of ruggedised tablets and "big, chunkier" mobile phones to improve communications between station commanders and emergency vehicles.
Interesting article, but wouldn't a touch screen+keyboard MDT style setup (Panasonic Tough or similar) in trucks be a good option? Can be developed as such as selecting a tab, Despatch, MSDS, Mapping and Hydrant data, can be run over the 3G or 4G/LTE network? Not sure an Ipad or Android tablet is going to be such a medium-long term option.
Not the first to consider the iPad option...

Qantas pilots turn to iPads in a move designed to improve communication

QANTAS will deploy 2200 iPads to its pilots in a move designed to improve communication and data access while cutting down on cockpit paper.

The 64Gb iPads with 3G connectivity are also expected to provide about $1.5 million in annual savings through a combination of reduced printing and distribution costs as well as weight saving of about 20kg per aircraft.

Maybe this is where the idea came from....?

Mike

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Possibly, there is a lot of companies who are moving in this direction, but im pretty sure an apple touchscreen will not work if the user is wearing gloves, so might not be best suited for this scenario. However, Im not even sure if the Panasonic range does either, someone that owns one might be able to comment.

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 am

A few companies make "tradesman" style phones ie a bit clunky with basic protection.

The one I use privately is a Telstra Toughphone. Wasn't expensive. Will do email / data / internet but a bit clunky. Phone call ability is great. Keypad is ok, but still not the best with gloves. Have dropped it a few times with no damage.

My work issue Motorola Defy Android is a write off for easy use with dirty hands / gloves. Haven't dropped it yet but am sure it won't do as well as the other phone.

* Disclaimer. I work for a telecommunications company that may be mentioned above. I'm not trying to sell you anything. The information provided above is my private opinion.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:38 pm

We want Mobile Phone with larger buttons so we can push button with gloves on . . . . what a load of bull shit . . . have never seen a Firefighter use a mobile phone with gloves on and it would only be a NOB who would try and use a Mobile Phone with gloves on.

OK, Vehicle based "Mobile Data Terminals" so we can pass Code 1's and Code 3's given the increase in radio traffic with the rationalisation from 4 Comm's Centres back to 2 Comm's Centres and those un-essential lengthy radio messages that have increased, and if such system could also provide vehicle based Computer Terminals that allow us to access SOG's, Chemical Data, Hydrant Systems . . . in short do away with all those bloody paper based Folders we have stored in the appliances . . . . yea that would make out job just that little more easy . . .

but bloody Mobile Phones with Bigger Buttons for use with Gloves on . . . yea right, such comments must come from some Nob who does not attend many fire calls
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 pm

yep...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 pm

And not one person has mentioned the obvious... Intrinsic Safety. The phone isn't & it could only be a total moron who would advocate greater use of mobile phones while on the fireground. The person who made that speech is a senior manager who could make my life difficult if I said any more, however after nearly 17 years I still get tired of people going to seminars & throwing around their wisdom in areas where they (a) have no experience or expertise, and (b) do so without consulting those who satisfy (a). The reason for that is (c) they are as described by JAFO.

Cheers,

Richard

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Yep agreed JAFO
VK2MRC

cartman

Post by cartman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 pm

While we are on the subject of communicating with firefighters, what is the policy/procedure regarding one standing by the radios .... from the limited listening i do (plus watching at a few locations on the work CCTV) it seems that the firefighter who does the driving ends up remaining with earshot of the vehicle GRN and becoming the point man between firecom and the crew on the ground, or am i mistaken. Is this just for poor comms reception areas?

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview