NSW firefighters seek chunky phones

system_tech

Re: NSW firefighters seek chunky phones

Post by system_tech » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:12 pm

system_tech wrote:A few companies make "tradesman" style phones ie a bit clunky with basic protection.

The one I use privately is a Telstra Toughphone. Wasn't expensive. Will do email / data / internet but a bit clunky. Phone call ability is great. Keypad is ok, but still not the best with gloves. Have dropped it a few times with no damage.

My work issue Motorola Defy Android is a write off for easy use with dirty hands / gloves. Haven't dropped it yet but am sure it won't do as well as the other phone.

* Disclaimer. I work for a telecommunications company that may be mentioned above. I'm not trying to sell you anything. The information provided above is my private opinion.
and yes, I take my goves off to use my phones .. heaven help us if you all thought I used my goves, which are for protection from heat, dirt and sharp objects, not phone buttons!

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 pm

system_tech wrote:
system_tech wrote:A few companies make "tradesman" style phones ie a bit clunky with basic protection. The one I use privately is a Telstra Toughphone. Wasn't expensive. Will do email / data / internet but a bit clunky. Phone call ability is great. Keypad is ok, but still not the best with gloves. Have dropped it a few times with no damage. My work issue Motorola Defy Android is a write off for easy use with dirty hands / gloves. Haven't dropped it yet but am sure it won't do as well as the other phone. * Disclaimer. I work for a telecommunications company that may be mentioned above. I'm not trying to sell you anything. The information provided above is my private opinion.
and yes, I take my goves off to use my phones .. heaven help us if you all thought I used my goves, which are for protection from heat, dirt and sharp objects, not phone buttons!

This will probably alter the argument.

"The end of the mobile?"

With the cost of the NBN spiralling out of control, the Gillard government is examining ways to recoup some of the billions being spent. One proposal being looked at by government experts is the possibility of every Australian man, woman and child being implanted with a miniature WiFi device that would form part of the NBN communications web. You would not have to remember friends phone numbers, email addresses or any other details except their name. Want to talk to someone? Just say their name, the device will dial the number, leave a message whatever you wanted. "In reality." said, a government communications spokesman, "You would not have to think, we would do everything for you." How would that be? Not having to take off your gloves ever again.

R
Last edited by rustynswrail on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 pm

rustynswrail wrote:
"The end of the mobile?"

With the cost of the NBN spiralling out of control, the Gillard government is examining ways to recoup some of the billions being spent. One proposal being looked at by government experts is the possibility of every Australian man, woman and child being implanted with a miniature WiFi device that would form part of the NBN communications web. You would not have to remember friends phone numbers, email addresses or any other details except their name. Want to talk to someone? Just say their name, the device will dial the number, leave a message whatever you wanted. "In reality." said, a government communications spokesman, "You would have to think, we would do everything for you." How would that be? Not having to take off your gloves ever again.

R
And thinking maybe 10 years ahead (5 I reckon), when the mind to cyberspace connection is made, there will be no need for education and intelligence. You"ll be able to Google everything just by thinking it. What's Pi to the 100th digit?? Easy!

But I digress.....

Mike

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:10 am

This will probably alter the argument.

"The end of the mobile?"

With the cost of the NBN spiralling out of control, the Gillard government is examining ways to recoup some of the billions being spent. One proposal being looked at by government experts is the possibility of every Australian man, woman and child being implanted with a miniature WiFi device that would form part of the NBN communications web. You would not have to remember friends phone numbers, email addresses or any other details except their name. Want to talk to someone? Just say their name, the device will dial the number, leave a message whatever you wanted. "In reality." said, a government communications spokesman, "You would not have to think, we would do everything for you." How would that be? Not having to take off your gloves ever again.

R[/quote]

Just getting a bit off topic here for a sec, the NBN cost isn't spiraling out of control as the media says, its on track and on budget, Sorry have spent a long time over at Whirlpool defending against the FUD.
Now back on topic.
If you are on a fire ground you want things to be as simple as possible. You can't get much simpler than pressing a button on a mic.
It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer has all the gadgets in his car and he is driving off the jetty and sends the SOS fax and saying Hurry up and send as he goes off the end.
Anyway apparently the Nokia 920 can be used with cloves on but I still wouldn't recommend emergency people using phones etc instead of radios while on the front line.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:03 am

Farsouthscanner wrote:This will probably alter the argument.

"The end of the mobile?"

R
Just getting a bit off topic here for a sec, the NBN cost isn't spiraling out of control as the media says, its on track and on budget, Sorry have spent a long time over at Whirlpool defending against the FUD.
Now back on topic.
If you are on a fire ground you want things to be as simple as possible. You can't get much simpler than pressing a button on a mic.
It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer has all the gadgets in his car and he is driving off the jetty and sends the SOS fax and saying Hurry up and send as he goes off the end.
Anyway apparently the Nokia 920 can be used with cloves on but I still wouldn't recommend emergency people using phones etc instead of radios while on the front line.[/quote]

It was a joke Joyce.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am

It was a joke Joyce.
Sorry, didn't pick that one up :oops:
Thought it might have come from a paper article, getting sick of the media talking crap about the NBN.