New Channel and Zone Allocations

JimK

Re: New Channel and Zone Allocations

Post by JimK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:07 am

Put it this way, the jellybean counters at FRNSW have decided they are no longer paying for a Comms Operator to sit on their backside all day playing cards and watching TV and take the occasional fire call.

They would have asked "Can all these dispatch areas be merged?".... Answer "Yes, with costs"
They would have asked " Does it cost the same as 42 fire fighters wages (which is millions) per year... the Answer "No, but there maybe risk"

Risk analyst done by government, for millions of dollars its worth to redeploy the fire fighters. Money will always have the main influence any government service.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Sorry Jim... but so what? Do you know how hard it is to change patching on a Centracom? There are 2 centres both with multiple radio ops available at any one time. It would be extremely easy to change the patching config to resolve the issue... without this kind of economic analysis- which besides is done by people who wouldn't know the difference between a talkgroup & a testicle....

Thanks again for your advice on government policy- nothing like being told to suck eggs about something I've been involved in for a few decades.

Cheers,

Richard

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 am

ive noticed D104 and D106 has been given to Syd CommCen
Happily Scanning Since 1983

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Yep, reorganised again...

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 pm

when I was in the comms chair last fortnight it was on my screen, but gone a couple of days ago
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

hi all,
So basically now the long and short of it is Sydney does Sydney, Newcastle does the rest of the state?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Longreach wrote:hi all,
So basically now the long and short of it is Sydney does Sydney, Newcastle does the rest of the state?
cheers
Matt
Ohm . . . . I would say NO
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi all, Given your in the thick of it so to speak JAFO, how is it working currently. Im hearing my usual appliances from Southern NSW but now am hearing Blue Mountains and the Central west?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:41 am

Matt,

Sorry Mate, don't get on much these days for a couple of reasons, main reason that I don't know if I am coming or going most of the time and the other is there are way too many precious types within within the service who complain when people like myself give our own views or make Criticism of system or others abilities.

Yes I know there has been many Issues with the new ESCAD and the move across from the old FireCAD system, I will say thou from our perspective as appliance crews within West 1 & 2, the move back to Sydney Comm's has been a very much appreciated move, Newcastle Operators from our prospective just did not seem to be up to handling the increase call rate that Sydney West 1 & 2 generated.

The idea being told to phone in "White Messages" by a radio Operator a prime example and load of crap, to us that's just plain laziness by the radio operator not wanting to generate a Fire Call on the ESCAD and passing the buck to the designated '000' Call taker, a time consuming process for us to call '000' pass on the details to someone sitting a couple of meters from the same radio operator and something I have not heard any of the Sydney Operators tell any Sydney appliance crews to do at all since the ESCAD came in.

We are now seeing less radio calls being ignored under Sydney Comm's, less duplicate calls (very important with up to 12 Stations being closed or Moved-up in Sydney per shift ), more relevant incident information being passed onto crews.

In general the move back to Sydney Comm's has made our job a little more easier one can say.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi all,
Yeah fair enough, I notice its a little quieter now. You do get the odd stresshead operator but seems to be working well as a listener.
what was the go too with ringing in code 5's?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC