"Fail To Pay"

brianWE

"Fail To Pay"

Post by brianWE » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Here on the N Coast, we seem to get a lot of motorists who take on fuel and leave without paying.
I guess our large population of welfare recipients and the shortage of jobs, it is gonna happen more.
Through-traffic on the highways, too.
Police respond without complaint.
But I wonder how they really feel.

I mean, self-serve stations are, now, the norm.
I guess they save a bundle on staff and get those impulse sales as the motorist takes the long walk to the console operators.
What it boils down to (IMO, anyway) is that the police are helping make up for the lack of the live bodies who used to be on the tarmac serving fuel and taking cash.

Tax-payer funded help.

soupbones

Re: "Fail To Pay"

Post by soupbones » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Its happening more too with the crazy price of fuel, which at the moment has risen up again with the school holidays and long weekend coming up.
I don't condone stealing but the petrol companies and the servos only have themselves to blame for this..

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm

One way to stop fail to pay is to pay first then fill up. But how do you know how much you need. Most of the servo profits are the Milk, chips and drinks I know they are not in favor with that. But also don't want a knife or gun at your head.
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

brianWE

Post by brianWE » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Yeah.

My main concern was with the diversion of resources from "real" police work.

In busy times, local GDs have working lists of jobs "copied". Waiting times can get rather lengthy.
A man-power thing.
I guess the pollies have a horror of police sitting around waiting until they are needed. Better to have them busy with trivia than being "under-utilized".

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:15 pm

To tell you the truth, I would be very surprised if the police even attend "fail to pay" jobs straight away any more. I would not be surprised if such calls from service stations reporting ‘Fail to Pay’ jobs are referred to the Police Assistance Line in the first instance, and then passed onto LAC’s for follow up action.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

brianWE

Post by brianWE » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:57 am

JAFO wrote:To tell you the truth, I would be very surprised if the police even attend "fail to pay" jobs straight away any more. I would not be surprised if such calls from service stations reporting ‘Fail to Pay’ jobs are referred to the Police Assistance Line in the first instance, and then passed onto LAC’s for follow up action.
They seem to take them seriously, here.

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Police have to take action. If there is CCTV or evidence of the offence, Police still have to attend to view. If there is no CCTV evidence, a report to PAL is about all they can do.

It's not actually a 'stealing' offence. In NSW it is a 'fraud' offence, as you are welcomed to come in, fill up your car first on the agreement you pay after receiving the goods. So it comes under "Obtain goods by deception".

I am all for pre-paid. I noticed in the USA and parts of Europe, you have to pay a deposit, say the equivalent of $15, then you came back and pay the difference, or I have noticed some servos (mainly Quix) only permit EFTPOS at the bowser before you fill up at night time.