Digital system to expand...

Air490

Digital system to expand...

Post by Air490 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:39 pm

NSWPF are looking to expand the digital system to include Cootamundra, Goulburn, Manning Great Lakes, Mid North Coast, Far South Coast, Monaro, Tweed/Byron, and Wagga Wagga LACs. This is apparently aimed at smoothing the eventual transition to GRN. No time frame is given, but considering the current state of the NSW government coffers, I don't think it will be in the near future.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Digital system to expand...

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm guessing that list is missing Shoalhaven LAC? It would be funny if Lake Illawarra and Far South Coast LAC were digital and Shoalhaven (in-between the two) wasn't!

Personally I think the PF moving to the GRN is a long, long way off? Even if they only wanted to move inner city LACs across, there would need to be about three times the current number of GRN sites just to fill in blackspots so it would meet their standards?

Andrew

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:01 pm

The existing 468MHz sites and frequency allocations could be added to the GRN.

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:20 pm

citabria wrote:The existing 468MHz sites and frequency allocations could be added to the GRN.
and they will be, just like other places have done. The faster they move over, the more money saved on network costs

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:37 pm

BerryV wrote:
citabria wrote:The existing 468MHz sites and frequency allocations could be added to the GRN.
and they will be, just like other places have done. The faster they move over, the more money saved on network costs
That is true but you have to keep in mind the extra cost of upgrading these single-frequency NSWPF sites into multi-frequency trunk sites? You would effectively be at least doubling the investment in infrastructure! $$$

Andrew

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Thats a very good point - be interested to see how they do it.

There's also the option of Linear Simulcasting to increase coverage (as used in Melbourne MMR)

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Well it's been documented that the mid north and the Goulburn LAC have new digital allocations on the go. There seems to be infrastructure on the site at Marulan for instance so hardly a surprise. Would be a lot better anyway. Question Is will the concentric O come with it?
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Longreach wrote: ~ Question Is will the concentric O come with it? Cheers Matt
I don't really want to go there (as no doubt the topic will end up getting locked like the others) but I would say the answer to that is abso-friggen-lutely! I would venture to say that is their main reason for going P25?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

Oh well I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I'm wondering if a big expansion for the GRN is on the cards too?
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:32 am

Longreach wrote:Oh well I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I'm wondering if a big expansion for the GRN is on the cards too? Cheers Matt
Once the NOCC refit is complete, and all the current sites have been upgraded, I believe the next big push is supposed to be up the North Coast?

After that who knows... it will probably depend on the $$$ being forthcoming from our new state govt? Phase II/TDMA will make a big difference if the standard is finalised any time soon, more users per frequency equals less infrastructure (or the same amount of infrastructure with more capacity)?

Andrew