New?

brianWE

New?

Post by brianWE » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 am

Is this new?
I thought there was, already, the ability for police to access cross-border computer systems.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/se ... s-borders/

Wonky

Re: New?

Post by Wonky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Brian,

Information sharing has existed for some time, however, the data that could be accessed was minimal. For example, a check of a person may indicate they have a criminal history in another State or a warning, flag or a warrant. Often no further information relating to these could be accessed. A full and complete crim. history enquiry had to be done manually. Likewise, an outstanding warrant notation required a telephone to the relevant Crim. History Records section. Similarly, with a warning notation, often no further details are given...it could be the person is a licensed security agent or they may be extremely violent towards police.

I think the article is addressing that now more comprehensive information is available...about time too :!:

brianWE

Post by brianWE » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes!
Is about time.
I thought they could do it, already.

Thanks for the info. :P

JimK

Post by JimK » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:31 am

I gather it there is a still a long way to go. A collegeue told me that Police still have to phone Canberra for an immigration check or if they want a registration check on an ACT registered car.

brianWE

Post by brianWE » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:17 pm

I guess if it was too easy, there would be an outcry from the civil libs people.
And there is some validity in their fears.....a bit.