Daily Telegraph vents on encryption...

Mike Alpha

Daily Telegraph vents on encryption...

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Daily Telegraph vents on encryption...

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Yep, same old story... media can't recieve police comms any more... media drum up story to hang shit on police...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:07 pm

But they aren't complaining about encryption, they are complaining PEATS isn't working... and if it isn't then they have a valid concern. The whole idea of these sorts of media feeds is to allay fears that encryption is a threat to the right of the public to know what is going on. I read it & thought they were being pretty fair & reasonable.

Cheers,

Richard

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:22 pm

We are heading to a police state, same as QLD.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 pm

yeah but at least a fair bit of brisbane city is still analogue.
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Police state... you have to be kidding! So encryption is the first step on the path to a police state? Did you watch Underbelly? Corruption & abuse has zero to do with access to the radio network- which if people bother reading the Telegraph article they'll find this is about. The arguments about encryption have become very boring... wake up guys it is happening & what you think matters nought.

Cheers,

Richard

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Your kidding right?
Did you ever see anything to do with the inquiry into the Cronulla riots a few years ago? Police running the show were incompetent on a number of occasions. One almost put several officers at severe risk of injury from an over whelming crowd. evidence of this was on the police radio tapes. when the inquiry came, these tapes were rather conveniently 'lost' of course. None the less a member of the public ( and maybe even on this forum ) has recorded the incident, and this recording was given to the media, and passed on to the inquiry. The officers concerned of course got into trouble.
would this have happened in the time of encryption? Of course not. If we can't hear, then only the police are listening to themselves. Therefore they are only accountable to themselves, and not to the people that pay their wages, the tax payers.
Encryption on the GD channels should have more public access, even if it is only to the media and not general public. At the moment police can get away with lots of things, and unless another member of the service is going to dob them in, they will get away with it. Can't see that happening either.
In the past I have heard some amazing things said on police channels that officers should not have gotten away with. I know others have here as well. Those days are gone.

As I said, a step closer to a police state.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:44 pm

soupbones wrote:...In the past I have heard some amazing things said on police channels that officers should not have gotten away with....
And just imagine what they're saying now that thy know the blanket of encryption is there...

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Exactly correct. There should be some level of public accountability. even if they give the media access to the radio broadcasts only, that would be enough.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Soupbones, the media DOES have access- the problem that the Telegraph is complaining about is that it isn't working. Have you heard of media feeds? They get a feed straight off the back of our operator audio...

Sorry, I think those who carry on about police states are a bunch of w*nkers who spend too much time listening to a scanner & not out and about with the people who protect their lives. But as I said before who really cares because nobody is listening to the anti-encryption nutters anyway...

Cheers,

Richard