interesting scanning tonight

Longreach

interesting scanning tonight

Post by Longreach » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 am

hi all, was just coming home from a party in moorebank back to bass hill. found Z2ch135 picking up both vote 114 (southern highlands) and vote 131 (central hunter) traffic along Nuwarra rd and even now at my QTH at Bass hill. might be a good season coming up.
cheers
VK2MRC

ivahri

Re: interesting scanning tonight

Post by ivahri » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 am

Longreach,

Yep, it appears there is going to be plenty of ducting this year. Wonderful, great for you scanner guys but awful for users of mobile based voting systems...

Here is the site I use to keep up with things...

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus.html

Bill Hepburn's website is great for those who want to have a heads up that ducting is likely.

Cheers,

Richard

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:52 pm

ivahri wrote:Longreach,

Yep, it appears there is going to be plenty of ducting this year. Wonderful, great for you scanner guys but awful for users of mobile based voting systems...
Luckily the cops won't hear the ducted signals because they use different NACs.

Mike

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Mike,

For now. When P25 expands the NACs will be reused just as CTCSS tones are. When the networks expand the ducting will become noticeable as it always has been, particularly when the distant signal becomes stronger than the local (in which case the rules of FM apply).

Cheers,

Richard

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:13 am

ivahri wrote:Mike,

For now. When P25 expands the NACs will be reused just as CTCSS tones are. When the networks expand the ducting will become noticeable as it always has been, particularly when the distant signal becomes stronger than the local (in which case the rules of FM apply).

Cheers,

Richard
When networks expand ? Maybe this "chip on my shoulder" as you call it is showing again but seriously, the only expansion NSWP are doing in Sydney is jumping on the GRN as has been planned(and already in action ;)). NAC's won't be an issue at all. Forget about NAC's getting reused as it won't happen within the next 15 years when the technology will be replaced anyway. All other networks in Australia are way too minimal in size to even come close to worrying about re-cycling a NAC.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:38 am

Do you understand anything about frequency reuse? Frequencies are reused by many agencies at intervals as small as 50-60km. We are required to by ACMA. Many base sites can be heard further than the ACMA reuse distance permits us to so we have to use multiple CTCSS tones. NACs are the digital successor to CTCSS. We use 3 CTCSS tones now & will be using 3 NACs. The GRN, RFS, NSWFB, Police, and Ambos will all need to use multiple NACs.

15 years eh? Well that is one generation of radio network away yet even if you are correct. I haven't seen any new technology that offers both all informed communications & the coverage & capacity to replace existing trunking & conventional radio yet. I'm not going to say it will not happen but I will say you are making the prediction without an existing successor- yet.

Richard