Nsw Police looking into drone deployment

cartman

Nsw Police looking into drone deployment

Post by cartman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:01 am

http://dronelife.com/2016/03/31/austral ... ji-drones/
http://www.itnews.com.au/news/inside-ns ... ent-417365

"Our intrepid readers will note that DRONELIFE has covered the ever-expanding explosion in drone use among law enforcement in detail over the past several months. In fact, police agencies outside the U.S. seem to be outpacing Americans as the trend widens (as covered here, here and here).

Case in point: Police in the Australian state of New South Wales may win the award for Largest Police Drone Deployment of 2016 (that’s a thing isn’t it?).

At the Police Technology Forum in Canberra, state police officials announced a plan to fund 100 drones with 60 pilots in an effort to replace costly manned aircraft missions.

“The NSW Police’s remote piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) unit was created out of a report from the rescue and bomb disposal squad which pointed to the potential benefits of unmanned aircraft,” writes Paris Cowan for ITNews.

Chief Inspector Stefan Kent told the audience that the department – with a $66,000 (AUS) grant — has already tested a pilot program using seven pilots and several DJI Inspire UAVs.

“You don’t need a $200,000 aircraft,” Kent said. With drone deployment, “you can get that footage straight to tactical command, you can see obstacles, you can see people hiding behind buildings, you can see runners going out the back door,” he added.

Kent also sees a drone program saving time and money in crime scene and traffic accident investigations. “We can get an image of the crime scene or the crash scene in anywhere from five to 15 minutes,” he said.

Drones are slowly catching on in nearly every region Down Under– in Western Australia, police use drones to locate missing prospectors in the aptly-named Goldfields region. Prospectors often seek their fortunes in the more remote areas and at least two have gone missing in the past several months. Since manned SAR missions can cost a lot in people power and funds, police officials say drones may provide a more effective and budget-friendly way out.

Cowan reports NSW police will next present a cost analysis to the state treasury in hopes of expanding the drone program. However, Cowan also points out the plan could still face many regulatory hurdles:

“Some of the issues around the forensic viability of drone-captured evidence, such as measurements taken of a photographed crime scene, are yet to be nutted out from a legal perspective. The NSW Police is also in consultation with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority about staying within the parameters of flight regulations.”
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Garry

Re: Nsw Police looking into drone deployment

Post by Garry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:44 am

I've been at two incidents this year and seen the police using drones
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Three or four years ago I suggested to the local RFS District that we use drones to recce firegrounds on larger fires, including live video streaming back to anyone with an internet connection (pending a decent wireless signal of course), I even offered to supply the equipment for a pilot program (no pun intended), but the whole thing was dismissed as some kind of fantasy. They even took steps to forbid the use of privately-owned drones being used for same by adding a clause to the SOPs!

It seems if an idea doesn't come from their 'brilliant minds' then it automatically gets quashed.

Andrew

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 am

And to think that the proliferation of drone manufacture and use is because of this one technology called MEMS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZgxR6eRjo

Mike

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 pm

FRNSW Has about 3 Drones in trial service . . . one turned up at something I was at a month or so ago . . . how much they get used at large jobs I have no idea.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

news

Post by news » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:08 am

JAFO wrote:FRNSW Has about 3 Drones in trial service . . . one turned up at something I was at a month or so ago . . . how much they get used at large jobs I have no idea.
They are out there, Law might not "own" them yet but they sure bring in others that do.....