Expanding South

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Expanding South

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Farsouthscanner wrote:Sounds like Far South 704 has jumped in early. Was after a check on someone, was extremely broken. When I looked at the display sure enough ENC when he was broadcasting
Nah I think that's a bug in DSD+ but it only happens when a radio is voting to the same base that you're monitoring, it happens more often with portables for me for some reason.

I also get bogus IDs transmitting simultaneously with local radios too, on the screen it appears two IDs are talking at the same time but one is fake.

Andrew

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat May 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Sorry, this is on the scanner not in DSD+. I couldn't get DSD+ to work.

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Ah, so maybe it's a something to do with the signal and not a bug in DSD+?

In either case, if the radio is encrypted you won't hear any voice at all, just a digital screeching warbling sound (unless the scanner mutes Ø audio that is).

Andrew

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat May 21, 2016 11:09 pm

Yeah the audio I heard was just a second of warble then the scanner mutes it and displays enc. Its a Uniden 996.
To me it sounds like a very weak digital clear signal for a second before being muted.

cartman

Post by cartman » Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 am

I will be at Katoomba this weekend for a conference ... with a good southerly aspect so I am hopeful of picking up 468.2000 (Shellharbour Hill) for the final weekend of listening.

Update: Damm ... Blue Mts Vote uses this frequency
Last edited by cartman on Fri May 27, 2016 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:12 am

cartman wrote:http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/3906 ... uth/?cs=11

NSW police radio silent in the south

Media organisations will be given access to a separate, internet-based system for news gathering purposes.

Assistant Commissioner Worboys said this would be different from scanners, which would no longer be of use in the newsroom.

“We are aware of how this will affect media outlets and we will continue to assist them in the important role they play through communicating key information to the public that assists us in targeting crime,” he said.

“To facilitate this, we’ve developed and implemented the Police External Agencies Transfer System, an internet feed that has been used for a number of years to provide information on police activity, in place of radio transmissions.

“In addition, we will work with affected media organisations to ensure the new measures allow opportunities to attend operations of public significance.”
If it's anything like they had down here in Victoria (M.A.T.E.S) then don't hold your breath. Info provided on it was HEAVILY censored and incredibly delayed. Many things didn't even make it to the system at the Administrators discretion. In the end I think they shut down as Media simply didn't use it enough to warrant maintaining the system. It really was bad.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am

I have access to PEATS, it is very vague and often not updated with information. An example I can say is,,, there was a job listed as concerned for welfare in a Newcastle outer suburb. 27 hours later the info for that job was updated to alleged murder..... the job was a mother allegedly murdered her baby.

I'm saying alleged, because it is still before the courts
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:00 am

Well, tomorrow's the big day for Sierra & Uniform... 30 hours to go and counting

It will be interesting to hear how smoothly the transition goes, no doubt there'll be an hour or so of stragglers still talking in the clear, I'm guessing the console will stay clear so anyone with key problems can still communicate?

Andrew

cartman

Post by cartman » Tue May 31, 2016 2:54 am

Its smoother than you think .... regular messages during the morning to remind crews that encryption will be turned on at midday .... then an announcement that confirms that Zone 4 has been enabled on the repeaters for encryption. Then more or less the squiggle noises take over. The techs listen on the side for any crews that may have been busy on jobs at the appointed time and still transmitting in the clear
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Tue May 31, 2016 8:48 am

Today is the day
After 15 years of listening the time has come.
Will try and listen today.