Police pursuit cars after 2016

freqwaves

Police pursuit cars after 2016

Post by freqwaves » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:37 pm

There was a picture in last weeks Sunday Telegraph showing a Ford Mustang in police livery.
The subject was on what the police might buy after Holden & Ford stop making large V8 sedans locally.
Others cars I could think of that they could use:
Chrysler SRT8
Chevy Comaro (imported), surely GM has something to export from the states.
Subaru WRX
Mistsubishi EVO
Volkswagen Golf R
Volvo S60
Ford Focus ST

They do use some of the 4 cyclinder pocket rockets in other countries,why not here.
Left out some of the expensive brands as I think it might be outside their budget. (C63, M3)
Open to some more suggestions from members.

Thanks, John.

news

Re: Police pursuit cars after 2016

Post by news » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:40 am

John, here is something to think about that might sound surprising but I think we might see a shift down in engine capacity in NSW and other states that use the V8.

In Western Australia there are NO V8 police highway patrol vehicles(the only V8's in fleet that I have seen are the Toyota Landcruiser 76/78 series and some Nissan patrols). 95% of the highway cars are SV6 commodore sedans and wagons, the rest are XR6 falcons. When you consider that WA has the largest policing regions in the world you have to wonder if V8's are not needed here, why do the other states need them?.

The detectives and other unmarked units use a large amount of WRX's(I see multiple cars every day)

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Yes,agree a Commodore SV6 puts out 210kw & a Falcon XR6 is not far behind.Considering Holden V8s in the 90s came out with 185kw!
Most cars they seem to pursue these days are idiots in ordinary sedans which are no match for a performance vehicle.
Might save on fuel consumption as well which is a cost saving.

John.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:32 pm

In the end it doesn't matter all that much as pursuits are called off at the drop of a hat these days, the politicians are more concerned with covering their ass than actually catching criminals.

Any pursuit that reaches speeds beyond that capable of a Commodore or Falcon 6 cylinder would be terminated anyway so raw horsepower is probably not so much of a factor these days?

On a side note (and seeing as the subject has already been breached by the OP), I wish Chrysler Australia would import the Dodge line up instead of all these damn Jeeps etc., I'd love to see Rams, Chargers, Challengers and Vipers over here; and if you want to talk about police options, a lot of the Dodge line comes factory-fitted with options such as wig-wag head and tail lights, power distribution points, wiring looms and extra restraint mounting points already in place for police equipment. I have a pdf here called the "Dodge Charger Police Upfitting Guide" that's 82 pages of instructions for fitting the necessary equipment, I'm sure the other manufacturers have simular information available too.

Andrew