ESO 10 Enough already

Longreach

ESO 10 Enough already

Post by Longreach » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi all,

Basically its gotten beyond a joke, its tying up sites for no good reason. Surely theres got to be a better solution than this???

Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

matthewn1983

Re: ESO 10 Enough already

Post by matthewn1983 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Yeah, there is at least 4-5 radios right now (RFS portables) on Site 109 affiliated to that talk group. Surely they need to deny radios to the talkgroup unless you ring the NOCC and ask them to authorise the radio.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I totally agree, it's gotten way out of control.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to un-patch channel X-Ray until it's needed for an inter-agency operation, at which time it could be patched into the appropriate PF channel, but only for the duration of the op.

Is there really a need for VKG to monitor X-Ray 24/7?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi all,

Yep agreed, I don't know how many there is affiliated but i'm watching 2 sites on unitrunker and one has it all the time, the other a fair amount of the time. In my travels during the week just seems to pop up at the strangest places.
As i've said why does it need to be so accessable when 99% of users shouldn't be able to use it. Make it a patch when needed but why does it need to be transmitted 24/7 to satisfy those with a emergency services portable at home???

Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:I totally agree, it's gotten way out of control.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to un-patch channel X-Ray until it's needed for an inter-agency operation, at which time it could be patched into the appropriate PF channel, but only for the duration of the op.

Is there really a need for VKG to monitor X-Ray 24/7?

Andrew
Funny you say that, I just recieved an SOP from SES that we are not to use ESO Channel 10 for SRB Acredited Units we need to communicate with our COMCEN who then phone VKG similar to the way NSWFR and NSWAS operate at the moment.
I reckon the VKG <-> ESO Channel 10 link will die off shortly

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I've always wondered why SES crews need to report directly to VKG anyway... Fire & Rescue don't, Ambulance Rescue don't, all are SRB accredited and all are attending the same type of job?

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:I've always wondered why SES crews need to report directly to VKG anyway... Fire & Rescue don't, Ambulance Rescue don't, all are SRB accredited and all are attending the same type of job?

Andrew
I'm times past, SES didn't have a central dispatch, per se, like FRNSW/RFS/ASNSW. They get a phone call or a page advising them of a job, but didn't have a comms centre they could call to advise they were in the way etc. Comms were done through their local station, and these locations didn't have the capabilities to properly advise the police of their response. Because the police are in charge of rescue they advised them directly of their response.

This now may have changed, and if the SES now have a central dispatch the need to talk directly to the police has been removed.

Either way, something does need to be done to stop the unnecessary usage of GRN channels by those just 'listening' to ESO 10.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi all, It seems the SES have a central dispatch in at least some areas. Listening to Illawarra/South coast for instance ive heard when there is a RCR someone cuts in calling themselves Ops command or something. They seem to control the incident while its on. afterwards it seems to revert to local operations.
I dont seem to hear SES units using ESO10/CH W anymore.
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:28 pm

The only group of users who are actually meant to use the channel are aircraft for search and rescue purposes?

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:03 am

matthewn1983 wrote:The only group of users who are actually meant to use the channel are aircraft for search and rescue purposes?
Just on that, I had a search through my UT logs and the ambulance helicopters appear to still be using ESO10 regularly.

Seems the channel is needed for legitimate purposes, they just need to restrict access to those large number of SES and RFS radio who use it as nothing more than a 'scanner'.