Looking for a software-based scanner?

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Looking for a software-based scanner?

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Hope somebody can help... I'm looking for a software-based scanner, something I can connect to a USB dongle(s), which has all the functions of a typical Uniden or GRE scanner including trunk-tracking and of course vocoding, does anyone know if such a thing exists?

In a perfect world it would end up looking and working like the virtual display you get with ProScan or ARC software except without the need for an actual scanner.

Or am I dreaming?

Andrew

matthewn1983

Re: Looking for a software-based scanner?

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:15 pm

As per email, I have seen examples of current model Windows tablets and touchscreen laptops being used, with SDR as the input or a Scanner as the input, into the usual software such as Unitrunker, DSDPlus, PDW. Either for data decoding only, or cable running from speaker out to the car stereo for audio.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:21 am

A little background...

I'm looking at an automotive application where I can spend the $$$ on a carputer instead of a scanner and still have all the functions of the scanner plus the other benefits of a PC running Centrafuse etc., so it kind of needs to be "turn-key" if you know what I mean, not looking for something that requires five minutes of setup each time you start the car.

I know there is various software that can be cobbled together to do certain things but I'm looking for an all-in-one software package, something that has all the features of a high-end digital scanner (and hopefully more, like DMR tracking)?

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:59 am

The 'turn key' solution unfortunately doesn't exist - yet. It's still the case you need software from various providers to monitor different things. With so many digital modes out there SDR is most definitely the way forward, but it's still only pipe dream stuff to have a complete 'all-in-one' solution.

AML

Post by AML » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 am

Scotty wrote:The 'turn key' solution unfortunately doesn't exist - yet. It's still the case you need software from various providers to monitor different things. With so many digital modes out there SDR is most definitely the way forward, but it's still only pipe dream stuff to have a complete 'all-in-one' solution.
Unless your a Govt agency that has been using this technology for years.......

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:12 am

AML wrote:Unless your a Govt agency that has been using this technology for years.......
Who provides the software and hardware? I'm calling it as one of those scanner 'conspiracy theories'? ;)

While they no doubt use SDR I don't believe there is a single 'all-in-one' software package out there that allows anyone to monitor all modes/types/methods, be it trunking/digital/etc - even for 'Government agencies'.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:54 am

There was an Australian company WinRADIO that develiped and manufactured computer based scanning systems. A mate had one in Albury while I was still living there (19 years ago) that I was looking to buy myself before I moved to Sydney.

Basically it was a 3rd Party Hardware & software backage, the hardware being a reciever unit that could be mounted in a computer tower or external, the software then required to be installed onto your PC to run the system.

The company had about 6 different units all up starting from around $700 mark, sadly mostly all analog based. The systems were popular with tow truck companies and I know of a couple Vic CFA Volunteer Stations in the Vic NorthWest that had them and I was told purchased via the CFA, and very popular within the amateur radio field.

After moving to Sydney in 1997, it became evident to me the GRN was going to be the main system I would be scanning, kept a watch on develipments but after a couple of years up here in Sydney realized the current computer based scanning system this company had was not going to be suitable, so lost interest in the system.
Last edited by JAFO on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 am

There you go, the company is still active http://www.winradio.net.au/
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT