GRE.com (Japan) has gone bust!

cartman

GRE.com (Japan) has gone bust!

Post by cartman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm

This discussion has been happening on Radioreference for the last week - apparently confirmed by Mr Blanton as true

Grant

http://forums.radioreference.com/commun ... iness.html

Originally Posted by blantonl
Folks, this is not a joke, it is true. GRE Inc. has ceased manufacturing operations, closed it's office in Japan, and laid off numerous employeesin the United States. This means that distributors and dealers are going to no longer receive any stock or product, including Radio Shack.

GRE America is still up and running and will continue to provide warranty, technical support, and service for the next few years with it's staff in California. Additionally, GRE America will support the database updates to their EZ-Scan scanner lineup. They will also continue to distribute Alinco products.

That's what we know for now. As you can imagine this is a very disappointing development for our industry and hobby.
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Re: GRE.com (Japan) has gone bust!

Post by Mr Flibble » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 pm

SAD!

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Do GRE America also make the products, or only distribute?

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Scotty wrote:Do GRE America also make the products, or only distribute?
GRE is really the design and development wing for scanner products. They collect data on what the market wants, beta test it, provide feedback to the Japanese R&D people who set about trying to put the wants into reality.

I remember when I was writing for the magazines, I tried to get a some products for review with a possibility of building the Australian market. They sent me a pre-amp and really could not have cared about anyone outside of the US. In fact they didn't even know that scanners were being used in Australia.

If you read the full post on RR (including my comment) you will see the great divide. There is obviously a Uniden camp and a GRE camp. I swear the GRE followers will do a Jonestown if GRE goes under. For the youngsters amongst us google Jonestown to see what I am talking about.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Jonestown ahahahahahaha that use to be one of my favourite sayings at work
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 am

I was sad to learn about the fate of GRE and i hope someone rescues it, as one of the posters on RR said i'd like to see someone like Icom pick it up. I've long liked their products and have used them for years.
As much as im starting to get used to the Uniden product and dont mind them,I dont want the scanner market to go solely to them. Both have their own quirks and features and both have a place.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 am

GRE seemed to be be the only mob actively working on a trunked P25 Phase 2 scanner. Uniden don't appear interested, or at least have refuse to say publicly if they are in development. If GRE do fold it may well push back the release of a capable Phase 2 TDMA scanner.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 am

Scotty wrote:GRE seemed to be be the only mob actively working on a trunked P25 Phase 2 scanner. Uniden don't appear interested, or at least have refuse to say publicly if they are in development. If GRE do fold it may well push back the release of a capable Phase 2 TDMA scanner.
I will admit straight away, that I do have an association with Uniden, but do not speak for the company. I know Uniden will not leak details of pending designs etc to the hobby, they wait until it is ready for marketing then do so. New designs and features are always being looked at, it is R&D costs amongst other factors that are investigated as well as market potential. All I will say is, never say never.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 am

Hi all, and given the way that the P25 P2 systems are popping up in the states stuff like the 800 are needed to listen to them. having listened to a few systems over there in the last short while on a PSR500 makes it a challenge to listen to with choppy audio and the like. listening to them on my poor old Pro96 forget it :)
cheers all
Matt
VK2MRC

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

We can only hope that the GRE engineers and designers get get snapped up by the likes of Uniden, Icom or AOR and their talents continue.

Mike