Recording Software

criten

Recording Software

Post by criten » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi

Just wanted to know what software some of you guys use for recording scanners.

Been playing around with Audacity's voice activated recording today. Works fairly well. But it'd be nicer if I had something that recorded the time as well.

centralcoastscanman

Re: Recording Software

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:17 pm

recall pro

criten

Re: Recording Software

Post by criten » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:44 am

Nice tip! Although I later considered I have a rough idea on time anyway thanks to NSWFB procedure.

Also being an IT type I've later considered something more elaborate and geeky... so I'll probably stick with Audacity for now.

Just bought a USB cable on ebay so I'll begin to toy with this in a week or so.

Apparently the 396T acts like a usb serial adaptor, so uses generic drivers, therefore is Linux compatable. Uniden release the spec for the serial interface so its easy to write software for the scanner.

So I will later attempt to make a script that will:
  • Trigger recording by monitoring the USB for a scan target, or by monitoring the soundcard for voice activation
  • Record in MP3 format
  • Name the file & add an ID3 tag based on the channel label (from USB) and time
Then I could use something like ftp or rsync to send the recordings to a web server so anyone can listen to it at their own convenience - and know what they're listening to. And then use a bit of PHP to turn it into a Podcast. To me this idea seems better than a streaming.

Would anyone be interested in buying such an app for a small fee?