Unitrunker - Auto Save

Scotty

Unitrunker - Auto Save

Post by Scotty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 pm

My computer had a brain fart of sorts the other morning, causing it to restart. Unfortuneately in the process I lost about 10 days of UniTrunker logs that had bene tracking while I was away.

Does UniTrunker have an auto save function, allowing the data to be saved at set intervals? There is an 'auto save' checkbox, but my understanding is that this only allows the data to save when you exit or close the program, it doesn't save on restarts/computer faults.

The UniTrunker site doesn't mention anyway, and I can't find any info through searches, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sigint

Re: Unitrunker - Auto Save

Post by Sigint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Scotty wrote:My computer had a brain fart of sorts the other morning, causing it to restart. Unfortuneately in the process I lost about 10 days of UniTrunker logs that had bene tracking while I was away.

Does UniTrunker have an auto save function, allowing the data to be saved at set intervals? There is an 'auto save' checkbox, but my understanding is that this only allows the data to save when you exit or close the program, it doesn't save on restarts/computer faults.

The UniTrunker site doesn't mention anyway, and I can't find any info through searches, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
As far as I am aware, each days logfile is archived at midnight, and a new logfile opened, assuming you have logfiles enabled.

See www.unitrunker.com/logs.html

--
Sigint

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:07 am

From Rick's notes on Release 21 (dating back to March 2011):

"Auto-save - simple checkbox on the Options tab
a. operates hourly
b. first auto-save creates a new revision
[time/date]
c. subsequent auto-saves do not.
d. manual save creates a new revision (as it does now).
e. exiting the program creates a new revision (as it does now). "

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks fellas. However I can't find any of the 'auto-saved' logs for the 10 days before it crashed.

I've got the latest version, with auto-save ticked, so not sure if the function is still available. Its possible that the crash caused the database to somehow corrupt, and when I restarted the computer and UniTrunker it automatically reverted to the last known good save.

No great loss, but interesting to know for future reference.

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Another safeguard is to create a batch (.bat) file that runs at startup or via System Schedule to copy your database to another drive or location.