Military Monitoring

Southern Region (Snowfields, South Coast), ACT and Hume Regions
SandBagger1

Re: Military Monitoring

Post by SandBagger1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks, looking at it now, not as pretty as flightradar24 but I reckon blocking something you can see fly past isn't real bright.

Envoy73 just landed at Merimbula after 5 attempts in a passing thunderstorm.

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Good Evening Gents,

Just thought I'd chime in to offer some information regarding the 'discrepancy' noted with the E-7A showing on ADSB as MITCHELL 21 but heard on a radio net as OUTBACK 21.

MITCHELL is the callsign prefix assigned to the flight and aircraft, whereas OUTBACK is the prefix being used by the team controlling the battle space management aspect in the rear of the aircraft.

So same aircraft, same flight but each callsign is for a different aspect of the aircraft in flight.

Also in regards to the 'blocking' on FR24, agencies or entities actually apply for this to happen. FR can then remove totally or 'mask' it as something else.

Example the Hercules often use TROJAN and transmit as such on ADSB but may appear on FR24 as C30J.
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

SandBagger1

Post by SandBagger1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Pumper_50, thanks for adding to the conversation and sharing you knowledge. The information about the the two callsigns is great to know thank you. As you gathered I was at a loss as to what was actually going on. From now on I will look at both Flightradar24 and ADS-B Exchange to see what is happening. I know flightradar24 blocked or altered what they displayed, two days when the invisible Seahawk's flow past me was an example. Also I listen to Nowra NAS on liveatc to monitor air traffic that doesn't show up, usually if they are at or above 10,000ft I tend to be able to hear them.

I am making the most of my time at home listening to what I can, I would really like to monitor 30MHz to 40MHz area to see what you can hear, but the noise here is pretty bad so I'm working on reducing it. During Summer I always get tropospheric ducting from Queensland and can monitor Queensland Ambulance 79MHz channels. ADFA is still using the old AN/PR-77 radio sets for training that I carried around when I was in the Army during the 80's.

Good listening to all and please share!

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:43 pm

Glad to help. Also AussieADSB is another site to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com

Holdenracer

Post by Holdenracer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:18 pm

anyone have an idea what the blackhawks freq being used up here in sydney.

havent been able to locate. any help be greatly appreciated/

Brett

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Holdenracer wrote:anyone have an idea what the blackhawks freq being used up here in sydney.
havent been able to locate. any help be greatly appreciated/
Brett
Brett there is a good reason why you have not been able to locate their frequency - because they don't want you to.

And they use more than one, in fact depending on the mission they would be using spread spectrum frequency hopping platforms. Good luck tracking that. Otherwise conventional VHF and UHF AM assignments are used while flying about.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:24 pm

FHSS frequency hopping spread spectrum ENC 2.4ghz used , no it can’t be listened to .

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:32 pm

Radio_Australia wrote:FHSS frequency hopping spread spectrum ENC 2.4ghz used , no it can’t be listened to .
While FHSS can be and is used on 2.4GHz, it is not exclusive to that band. The military have and use assignments across the entire VHF and UHF spectrum on their FHSS equipment. The comment "good luck tracking that" was irony...

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm

Of course , with the mil , anything is a possibility

SandBagger1

Post by SandBagger1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:24 pm

Hello everyone, other than mandatory ATC radio traffic I wouldn't expect much if any radio traffic from the Blackhawks or the troops onboard. They would have planned and trained for every possible outcome before even starting these exercises. The Blackhawk with the rotor damage that landed in the nearby park as an example. The best way of describing it is a fireman can't put a fire out talking on a radio. If and I stress if there is any radio traffic it would be brief and for a specific reason. I guarantee you it will be encrypted and chances are it maybe frequency hopping. You could try 256.5500MHz AM but I would be surprised if you hear anything.