Hytera XPT Digital Trunking

cartman

Hytera XPT Digital Trunking

Post by cartman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 am

I was in Newcastle over the weekend attending a conference and used the overnight stay at Charlestown to scan the local airwaves.

On DSDPlus 1.101, I came across a DMR System type I had never seen before (well, there is none that I know of in metro Sydney ... I think there are some in Victoria). On one of the DSD screens it logs "XPT Beacon" and a number for 463.175 and 464.125

463.1750 - XPT DMR - DCC1 - Commonwealth Steel Company Waratah
463.6000 - XPT DMR - DCC1 - Commonwealth Steel Company Waratah
464.1250 - XPT DMR - DCC1 - Commonwealth Steel Company Waratah

Googling i found the following blurb on the system. Turns out it is a DMR Type 2 Hytera XPT psuedo trunking system.

No dedicated control channel.
XPT employs a distributed trunking protocol which does not require a dedicated control channel, which is hard to obtain, providing greater flexibility to many end users who are now able to build a trunking system in a shared channel environment.

Higher capacity.
A single XPT system can support up to eight repeaters at one site and provide up to 16 traffic channels, supporting up to 1,200 users. Each traffic channel can be customized to transmit voice or data.

Easy migration from DMR Tier 2 Conventional to XPT digital trunking.
XPT can be enabled by upgrading the firmware version of current conventional Hytera digital radios and RD98xS’ series repeaters. XPT also supports the digital functions of conventional systems, providing key digital mobile radio (DMR) benefits yet using entry level digital repeater configuration.

Extremely cost effective.
XPT is a simple solution that enables customers to migrate many aged analog Logic Trunked Radio (LTR) systems to digital, leveraging their existing infrastructure without significant capital investment. The solution is easily installed, maintained and operated, and is more cost-effective than other market options.

Background:
Hytera XPT Digital TrunkingXPT equipment can set up eight 12.5kHz FCC channels and support 16 voice channels. Specifically within a single Hytera XPT system, the repeaters broadcast the system’s status information in each frequency via a beacon signal which informs the radio of available channel resource. The radio can then switch to an available channel and slot to communicate. The result enables multiple users across various departments to quickly and easily handle critical communications and requests. There is no dedicated control channel required by a XPT system.
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Garry

Re: Hytera XPT Digital Trunking

Post by Garry » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:24 am

I listen to this all the time, very active with chit chat
Happily Scanning Since 1983

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm

About 12 months ago I picked up one of these XPT systems whilst sitting at Freshwater, going by the voice traffic it sounded something relating to a multi level carpark. Ill see if I have some screenshots and/or notes on the old laptop.

Nice find Grant.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 pm

We were just chatting about one of these systems over on VRZ @cartman.

One has appeared being set up for (unknown users so far) for this year's Royal Melbourne Show.

Unfortunately it'll be running Enhanced Privacy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com