UK seeks to replace TETRA with LTE as early as 2016

ivahri

Re: UK seeks to replace TETRA with LTE as early as 2016

Post by ivahri » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Scotty wrote:
news wrote:
ivahri wrote:P25 will dominate in NSW for many years to come. Simple.
Finally somebody talking reality! P25 is here to stay for a long time.
I could have sworn this thread was about TETRA in the UK. The reality there is completely different...
And there in lies the problem... people trying to predict what is best suited for one country based upon what suits another... TETRA is more likely to be superceded by LTE than P25 is. You can run a P25 base voting network over a very thin pipe using very small antennas- ideal for a big sparsely populated state like NSW. That doesn't describe the UK does it? We don't have the infrastructure in the bush- as some have found out the hard way. I would prefer to not waste money on pie in the sky solutions dreamed up by futurists who don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to radio- give the Police phase 2 or even LTE in the Sydney region, and build modest P25 networks in the bush... My opinion, only my opinion!

Cheers

Richard

techman

Post by techman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:14 pm

ivahri wrote:
Scotty wrote:
news wrote:
ivahri wrote:P25 will dominate in NSW for many years to come. Simple.
Finally somebody talking reality! P25 is here to stay for a long time.
I could have sworn this thread was about TETRA in the UK. The reality there is completely different...
And there in lies the problem... people trying to predict what is best suited for one country based upon what suits another... TETRA is more likely to be superceded by LTE than P25 is. You can run a P25 base voting network over a very thin pipe using very small antennas- ideal for a big sparsely populated state like NSW. That doesn't describe the UK does it? We don't have the infrastructure in the bush- as some have found out the hard way. I would prefer to not waste money on pie in the sky solutions dreamed up by futurists who don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to radio- give the Police phase 2 or even LTE in the Sydney region, and build modest P25 networks in the bush... My opinion, only my opinion!

Cheers

Richard
Coming from standards bodies who are working on these standards (plus their respective sales depts of the hardware players) there is a view P25 phase3 and tetra standards for public safety may just merge into one and run across LTE and become one standard. This standard is expected to be published late this year early next. Yes this did start a discussion on UK, tetra and direction forward for them and direction of P25 may be in play with their view of the end solution in the UK.

sparsely populated lands - this become an interesting debate, FDMA camp say they go further due to not having a timing division in the signal (like TDMA) so distance is not such an issue and I sure there are other factors, when NSW moves towards P2 trunked solution through out the state and the above comment is true then P25 P2 could be in trouble and resorting back to repeater/Phase 1 trunking may just stay the norm. It will be interesting to see what issues Qld runs into when it gets around to deploying outside SEQ where distances will come into play.

This is becoming a good discussion reguardless of which country/system we are talking about
Don't like it, either get over it or retire

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:50 pm

P2 trunking across the state? Ho bl@@dy ho... fat chance in the next 5-10 years. Get a grip, the money isn't there & the infrastucture is definitely not there. I know... and nobody wants or needs it across the state so there is going to be far higher priorities, such as broadband applications like video.

techman

Post by techman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:00 pm

ivahri wrote:P2 trunking across the state? Ho bl@@dy ho... fat chance in the next 5-10 years. Get a grip, the money isn't there & the infrastucture is definitely not there. I know... and nobody wants or needs it across the state so there is going to be far higher priorities, such as broadband applications like video.
That info is based on the spin doctors..... Media releases yes it is planned for the whole state but starting in the southeast and working there way out. I agree with you, technology eveloution will have changed a number of times in the 15 year life of the agreement but dig further and there looks to be another reason behind telstra being the prime contractor for this gig.

The state has been giving Police ipads with access to almost all services they use to access over radio or at the station, they have a few hundred in the field and have order another 1200 units. It is mooted they live on telsra 4g network.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/386342,me ... s-cio.aspx

When you read the link above there is already a direction in place to get onto lte of telstra flavour and this transaltes into a move away from use of twoway radio workload for a lot of tasks which required operator help at the local station. Odds are the MDT terminals system for ambo and fire vehicals are on the list of services to move across to ipads which will take more radio workload away from gwn.

All they need is a p25 cross connect app/software on the ipad/iphone and they can leave the radios at home too

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:35 pm

techman wrote:
ivahri wrote:The state has been giving Police ipads with access to almost all services they use to access over radio or at the station, they have a few hundred in the field and have order another 1200 units. It is mooted they live on telsra 4g network.

All the info you posted seems to relate to Queensland, not NSW. Is that relevant?

techman

Post by techman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 pm

Scotty wrote:
techman wrote:
ivahri wrote:The state has been giving Police ipads with access to almost all services they use to access over radio or at the station, they have a few hundred in the field and have order another 1200 units. It is mooted they live on telsra 4g network.

All the info you posted seems to relate to Queensland, not NSW. Is that relevant?
Well some do consider Qld to be a far northern suburb of Sydney much like new zealand is an eastern suburb.

Discussion on this topic has been opened and covering a larger area then just NSW, that said what is occurring in other states just may come home to NSW as well.

news

Post by news » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 pm

ivahri wrote:P2 trunking across the state? Ho bl@@dy ho... fat chance in the next 5-10 years. Get a grip, the money isn't there & the infrastucture is definitely not there. I know... and nobody wants or needs it across the state so there is going to be far higher priorities, such as broadband applications like video.
just need a royalties for regions rip off :)

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article ... y_services_/

techman

Post by techman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 pm

news wrote:

I saw this on another site today, must check acma database and other sites to see if they are sticking with P1 or going P2

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:40 am

I have been in London earlier this week and now in Bucharest, Romania. All i see is Motorola Tetra radios being used by emergency services
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

frankc

Post by frankc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:13 am

techman wrote:
news wrote:

I saw this on another site today, must check acma database and other sites to see if they are sticking with P1 or going P2
Small Problem - FESA is now known as DFES and has been for at least a couple of years