Antenna Mast Mount

Scotty

Antenna Mast Mount

Post by Scotty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

I'm after an antenna mast mount to connect a base antenna to an existing pole. Because of guy ropes on the pole I'm after something that spaces the antenna out slightly from the pole. Something similar to the image below:

http://www.zcg.com.au/Images/mounting/e ... -clamp.jpg

The one above is from ZCG and I can only find them for about around $40 each (I'll obviously need 2). Hoping somebody on here might know where to get something similar for less.

Thanks!

col05_au

Re: Antenna Mast Mount

Post by col05_au » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Have you tried

http://www.electrocraft.com.au/

website is missing several of their items so you may need to go in or give them a call.

Col

Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks Col. I called up a couple of the local antenna blokes, who were happy to come and install something but wouldn't sell it to me seperately, so I wasn't very successful. I'll see if Electocraft can help.

Cheers.

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Scotty wrote:I'm after an antenna mast mount to connect a base antenna to an existing pole. Because of guy ropes on the pole I'm after something that spaces the antenna out slightly from the pole. Something similar to the image below:

http://www.zcg.com.au/Images/mounting/e ... -clamp.jpg

The one above is from ZCG and I can only find them for about around $40 each (I'll obviously need 2). Hoping somebody on here might know where to get something similar for less.

Thanks!
Something similar.

http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdView.a ... ENSION+KIT

--
Sigint

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:21 am

Many thanks guys. As luck would have it I pulled up next to a 'Jim's Antennas' bloke when I stopped for fuel yesterday afternoon. I talked to him over the pump about what I was after and he got a pair of brackets out of the back of his van for me. Cost $25 for the two of them - perfect! I put the antenna up this morning.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Whatever happened to the days when we just pilfered a bit of sheet metal, drilled a couple of holes & scrounged a couple of muffler clamps? I always did that when I was younger but I'm too lazy/spoilt to bother now!

Cheers,

Richard

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 pm

ivahri wrote:I always did that when I was younger but I'm too lazy/spoilt to bother now!
Yep, I think that explains the reasons perfectly! :lol:

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I need two of those clamps too, just need to hang around some petrol stations. I am after some feedback RE what type of antenna mast is best to use galvanized steel or aluminum? in the past I have used a old fiberglass windsurfer mast for a temporarily solution. Also is common practice to put the cable inside the pole to help protect from the UV.
Scotty wrote:Many thanks guys. As luck would have it I pulled up next to a 'Jim's Antennas' bloke when I stopped for fuel yesterday afternoon. I talked to him over the pump about what I was after and he got a pair of brackets out of the back of his van for me. Cost $25 for the two of them - perfect! I put the antenna up this morning.
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 am

I wouldn't use regular aluminium tube unless it is only a small antenna and you only need a short length. RFI have sold a 6m length of 50mm diameter "Duralium" tube for antenna mast for many years. Otherwise I would use water pipe...

Most decent quality coax is now UV stabilised so you are going to get 10 years+ life out of it. A few years back I replaced my mum's RG59 TV coax after 30 years in sunlight- it had gone totally brittle but she was still getting reception! I normally wouldn't run coax down the guts of the tube but if you want to do it & it isn't going to introduce other problems (water ingress etc) no harm would be done.

Cheers

Richard