Inside an RFS Cat. 1

alphamike

Inside an RFS Cat. 1

Post by alphamike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Don't really know where to put it, but figured I'd stick it with all other photos.
Thought I'd give you a look into out Cat. 1. Not all are the same, Some carry less equipment, some carry more.

Front to back, Left to right.
* Garmin GPS 10 - Used for plotting burns
* Tacho - Displays RPM for the pump
* Motorola XTS3000R, Belongs to me, not the service, has a few different networks in it.
* Nokia Phone, the screen can be seen behind the XTS, Microphone is in front of it, and there is a controller for it which is out of the picture.
* Pump Controls - Red light indicator is for the prime, left of the phone kit is the speed controller.
* Tait 2020 Remote Head - VHF Fire ground
* Siren & Light Controller - PA / Wail / Yelp - Controlled by Horn / Hi-Lo, Red button controls Red&Blue's, White button controls front flashers.
* Motorola XTL5000 03 - 4 Zones
* Conventional Voting Groups - Warringah / Gosford e.t.c
* Field Ops Channels - Simplex and Duplex options, used on the fire ground
* Stratnet - Strategic Network - ESO - ESO Simplex / Repeater / Aircraft - Emergency Service Liaison - - Inter-agency network
* GRN - Pretty self explanatory, plenty of talk groups for zones / regions / state ops

* GME TX3220 ( I think that's the model) Remote head UHF CB
* Various Switches - Clearance / Work / Spot lights, Rear Speaker for XTL 5000, Pump ignition
* Pump on and off

centralcoastscanman

Re: Inside an RFS Cat. 1

Post by centralcoastscanman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 pm

I hate the remote head option RFS have chosen for their XTL5000 radios, they should have used the W3 head like the SES and the Police have got..

col05_au

Post by col05_au » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:15 am

centralcoastscanman wrote:I hate the remote head option RFS have chosen for their XTL5000 radios, they should have used the W3 head like the SES and the Police have got..

Problem is the W3 is no longer, the O3 replaced it. So they don't get the option.

Col

Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:22 am

so the rfs are all getting 5000's with an o3 now?
cheers
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:53 pm

all i have to is say "well done motorola you idiots" as from what i've seen in SES and speaking to guys in RFS the W3 was a far better hand piece anyways.

They might as well go to the O5 and just have a normal handpiece and have all the controls on the radio like NSWFB have in their vehicles from what i saw.

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:28 am

col05_au wrote:
centralcoastscanman wrote:I hate the remote head option RFS have chosen for their XTL5000 radios, they should have used the W3 head like the SES and the Police have got..

Problem is the W3 is no longer, the O3 replaced it. So they don't get the option.

Col
Rubbish, the W3 is still available and can be purchased, I know of several W3 xtl setups that rolled out very very recently (govt order) and there is still a price for a W3 head on MOL.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi all, thats apparently the setup there chosen in my zone. its going to have a lot of the people in the service stuffed on how to use them, think in our case it would have been better to stick to the tait's for simplicity.
cheers
VK2MRC

col05_au

Post by col05_au » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:36 pm

BerryV wrote:there is still a price for a W3 head on MOL.

Yep your right, there is.

However ring your sales rep and try to buy a complete radio not just a W3 head.

Don't think you will get far.

I'm buying around 2-3 a week at the moment and M don't want to ship us any W3's

Unless it's just my lot.... which wouldn't be the first time M did something odd

Last time I wanted to buy a W3 I was told that the head is still available as a single item for spares.

Anyway the O3 IMO is a nicer head.

Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Anyway the O3 IMO is a nicer head.

Till you break one... the Tait control mics are quite cheap but find out how much a replacement O3 mic is. I'd like to say more but I might ruffle a few feathers... These radios are designed & budgeted to last 10+ years so maybe people should look more at what will last & less at what option is the most schmick. O5 heads rarely die but let's see how long the O3s last.

Cheers,

Richard

col05_au

Post by col05_au » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:40 pm

ivahri wrote:Anyway the O3 IMO is a nicer head.

Till you break one... the Tait control mics are quite cheap but find out how much a replacement O3 mic is. I'd like to say more but I might ruffle a few feathers... These radios are designed & budgeted to last 10+ years so maybe people should look more at what will last & less at what option is the most schmick. O5 heads rarely die but let's see how long the O3s last.

Cheers,

Richard

Your right they are not cheap, however have you broken one, I slammed one in the door not so long ago and it barely put a mark on it.

I have maintained dozen of different radio's over the years most have there good and bad points, I personally am a huge fan of Tait myself, however one thing you must say about Motorola is that the gear is tuff (but yes you will pay for it).

I would be surprised to hear of a broken Motorola under reasonable circumstances. A few years ago I dropped an MTS2000 portable from a 45M tower (by accident) It required a new antenna but was otherwise fine, ran it up on the bench and passed spec, It went on for several years until replaced with an XTS5000.

Col