Guy falls off a cliff - GRN site takes a pounding

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Guy falls off a cliff - GRN site takes a pounding

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Earlier this evening I was watching GRN Site 328 at Batemans Bay during the rescue of a man who apparently fell 19m from a cliff-top at Batemans Bay's North Head, attending were NSWPF, ASNSW, Southcare, FRNSW, NSWSES and SLSA.

Site 328 was taking a pounding and even went to capacity a couple of times (calls over the Alt CC)... and this site has an extra voice channel over it's neighbours too!

The problem seemed to be that two of the three GRN-using agencies on the scene were occupying multiple talkgroups, the ambulance had "STATE 1" & "ILL OPS1" running, FRNSW had "D301 WOLL 1" and SES were using "172-ISSTRAT" & "353-S/OPS1" all pretty much simultaneously, and to add injury to insult, it just happened to coincide with Illawarra Ambos evening sign-on!

It's probably lucky that the NSWPF and SLSA aren't yet on the GRN and there were no RFS units attending or a lot of people would've been getting a lot of "busies" :o which is not that handy when conducting a vertical rescue?

Andrew

Scotty

Re: Guy falls off a cliff - GRN site takes a pounding

Post by Scotty » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 pm

The SES could of (should have) used a simplex channel instead if the GRN channel for ops at the scene, assuming they were using that extra channel for the rescue and not for other ops. Apart from that there is not much else that could be done, short of increasing the number of channels.

cartman

Post by cartman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 pm

SLSA on the GRN in the future? Havent heard that one before.

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 am

Oh yeah sorry, my bad, that was just something that came up in conversation the other day... but you gotta wonder how they've managed to stay under the radar thus far? They do run an extensive PMR network that could well be replaced once the North Coast has GRN coverage?

Andrew

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 am

Bigfella237 wrote:Oh yeah sorry, my bad, that was just something that came up in conversation the other day... but you gotta wonder how they've managed to stay under the radar thus far? They do run an extensive PMR network that could well be replaced once the North Coast has GRN coverage?

Andrew
Seeing that SLSA is not a government agency, I suppose the only way they could be forced, tricked or otherwise coerced into using the GRN would be by government provided financial incentive?

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:31 am

Hi all, I find it funny that they would have used ILL OPS 1 in that area unless the Ulladulla Ambo's came down to assist the Bay Ambos?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Correct Matt, Responder 102 (based at Bomaderry) was actually on scene, there was initially some ambiguity as to exactly where the incident was so I guess either he was in the area anyway or sent just in case it was in the Illawarra Sector?

Andrew