ACT Ambos

Comms107

ACT Ambos

Post by Comms107 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi All
Any body able to tell me if i can monitor ACT ambos communications
Im doing medical event near the air port which is I will have control room set up it will be handy when I have to call an ambulance I can monitor them so i know they are heading in the direction not vital but will make my job a bit easier if I can monitor

Cheers

cartman

Re: ACT Ambos

Post by cartman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:26 pm

ACT Ambulance is encrypted, so the answer to your question is "No, you cannot"
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Comms107

Post by Comms107 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:37 pm

other than the law enforcement, this is what I cant understand operationally the day to day stuff why does an organisation need encryption is beyond me

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Comms107 wrote:other than the law enforcement, this is what I cant understand operationally the day to day stuff why does an organisation need encryption is beyond me
Apart from the fact that the transmission (by any means) of personal health records and information whereby - personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Information is identifiable if the relevant person can be identified. Is a breach of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, the ACT Privacy Act 2014 as well as other relevant legislation.

Further they simply don't want you to listen in. Encryption is here to stay get use to it. After all it is sites like this that have contributed in part to agencies encrypting. Streaming is another offender.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Walt Bishop

Post by Walt Bishop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:57 am

rustynswrail wrote:
Apart from the fact that the transmission (by any means) of personal health records and information whereby - personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Information is identifiable if the relevant person can be identified. Is a breach of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, the ACT Privacy Act 2014 as well as other relevant legislation.

R
You got it Rusty - hammer, nail, head. The most relevant being the Health Records (Privacy and Access) Act 1997 8-)

Comms107, there's a non-exhaustive list of what you can and can't listen to on the ACT TRN here NSW P25 GRN - ACT Talkgroups. More government departments are migrating to wide area trunking networks, as it's cheaper and easier than managing their own networks and licencing. And with these migrations, its easy enough to enable encryption by default with the feature being standard in pretty much all new digital radios.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

The fact is ladies and gentlemen, that due to various pieces of legislation as well as the interpretation of, or indeed mis-interpretation of said privacy legislation, more and more government agencies are going to enable encryption.

Irrespective of whether you like it or not, jump up and down on the spot, spit the dummy, have a hissy fit or cry uncontrollably encryption is a fact or life in today's climate. I am not saying it is justified in every case, but it is the prerogative of the agency to do so. And do so they will. Also contrary to the belief of same they do not have to consider the listening choices of scanner users and owners when determining whether or not to enable radio privacy.

To paraphrase Ichigo Takano "live with it"... But for Christ's sake stop whinging about it!

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!