Aircraft Using UHF CB

kevnerd486

Aircraft Using UHF CB

Post by kevnerd486 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Interesting catch today, heard two aircraft flying together talking between themselves on Ch24 UHF CB. They where both using a CTCSS tone (141.3) which would be a good idea as at altitude (i heard them say at one stage they where at 4800ft) you would hear a lot of other traffic on the channel.

Regards

Kev

citabria
Site Admin

Re: Aircraft Using UHF CB

Post by citabria » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:55 pm

That is an interesting one! I wonder if they had the CBs patched into the radio intercom system as a "company chat channel" or something similar?

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:06 pm

citabria wrote:That is an interesting one! I wonder if they had the CBs patched into the radio intercom system as a "company chat channel" or something similar?
A pilot may know this (Matt) doesn't the use of 'other' communication devices onboard an aircraft have to be approved by CAA?

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Radio_Australia

Aircraft Using UHF CB

Post by Radio_Australia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Are you sure they were planes ?

Hot air ballon companies have been known to use UHF CB on occasion
Last edited by Radio_Australia on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 pm

rustynswrail wrote:
citabria wrote:That is an interesting one! I wonder if they had the CBs patched into the radio intercom system as a "company chat channel" or something similar?
A pilot may know this (Matt) doesn't the use of 'other' communication devices onboard an aircraft have to be approved by CAA?

R
At first glance you might assume that CASA would be their usual, stifling, pointlessly over-regulating selves on this one, but I believe it's not the case - I've flown aircraft fitted with NSWGRN and NWPS radios, and the aircrafts airworthiness documentation didn't have the radios listed in the paperwork at all.

The certainly wasn't any on this in the CPL Air Law examination either...

Next time I'm out there I'll have a chat to one of the avionics LAMEs to find out what the story is!

kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Radio_Australia wrote:Are you sure they were planes ?

Hot air ballon companies have been known to use UHF CB on occasion
Yes, they where defiantly aircraft, as a holder of a Private Pilots Licence and also a retired Licensed Aircraft Maintenace Engineer I’m Very confident by the nature of the conversation that they where fixed wing light aircraft.

Also the ballon company that operates locally in the Hawkesbury area heRe use channel 11 on UHF CB yo talk to ground crew to organise landing.

Regards

Kev

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Kev - in all your years of experience and training, can you recall an STC (or a CASA authorised mod document) being required for a non airband radio being installed in a civil aircraft?

kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 pm

citabria wrote:Kev - in all your years of experience and training, can you recall an STC (or a CASA authorised mod document) being required for a non airband radio being installed in a civil aircraft?
Any modification to a "VH" registered aircraft requires the modification design to be carried out by a suitable qualified professional aircraft engineer, and the installation to be certified by a Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (LAME) and its a very expensive exersise just to install a CB!. The Military operate along similar lines but with there own overriding regulations. My experience is mainly Commercial Aviation and Military, recreational privately owned VH registered aircraft have the same constrains but what happens in the real world "mileage may vary".

Ultra light and sports (experimental) aircraft are a lot more flexible, with the certifying agent mostly being the builder/owner, and these guys could have been flying under this category.

I've seen UHF CB's fitted to many Aircraft out west in rural community's, if it was done by the regs have no idea.

Regards

Kev

Kev

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:11 pm

FYI
I know paragliders use UHF radio going by my family friend the Icoms seams to be the most popular brand.

http://www.hgfa.asn.au/resources/HGFA_U ... hannel.pdf
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG