One last search, Starting Friday 18th Oct

Garry

One last search, Starting Friday 18th Oct

Post by Garry » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Thirty-two years after a light plane disappeared over the Barrington Tops and believed to have killed the five men on board, police and emergency services will conduct one final search.

On the 9 August 1981, a light plane VH MDX carrying five men including the pilot commenced a three hour flight from Coolangatta to Bankstown Airport. It was last heard from when it struck bad weather over the Barrington Tops.

On Friday 18 October, a three-day multi agency search and rescue exercise in involving 150 emergency service personnel will be conducted in an isolated area within the Barrington Tops National Park.
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: One last search, Starting Friday 18th Oct

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Personally I think it was the aliens that got 'em...

Wouldn't you think that with today's technology they could do some sort of satellite scan or simular to find the wreckage? I mean they can track troop movements in underground bunkers or read a number plate from orbit, and I read somewhere recently about some new tech that penetrates foliage to scan the terrain below, surely it couldn't be too hard to find a wreckage, even if it has been 30 years?

It's certainly a mystery that I (and I'm sure many others) would like to see solved anyway.

Andrew

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:03 am

Interesting, this reminds me of the plane that went missing down this way.
Back in early 80s or maybe a bit earlier a plane was supposed to land at Merimbula airport one night, It left from Victoria and by the time it got to Merimbula it was a real shocking night, with next to no visibility.
The plane circled above for a while unable to find the airport, the local bushfire brigade tried to radio the plane to talk it down using a radio in another plane on the ground without success. The plane was last heard heading north and was never found.

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:02 pm

G'day Garry,

Can I assume that, in this case, no news is bad news?

Andrew

criten

Post by criten » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Farsouthscanner wrote:Interesting, this reminds me of the plane that went missing down this way.
Maybe but not quite. VH-MDX remains the only mystery in air crash in Australia; its the only aircraft in Australia that has crashed and never been found.

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Well, it's the only aircraft in Australia to "go missing" and never be found... :?

(I love a good conspiracy theory)

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:Well, it's the only aircraft in Australia to "go missing" and never be found... :?

(I love a good conspiracy theory)
Can Harold Holt be included in that "go missing" part? Will a search be conducted at Cheviot Beach in Vic soon ?

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:30 pm

No, you'd have to search North Vietnam for Harold... they grabbed him up for the whole "All the way with LBJ" thing!

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:G'day Garry,

Andrew
There has been nothing in the news, but while the search was underway one of the RFS blokes in control of his troops at Barrington was talking with another RFS bloke at the Springwood fires using the GRN. There was mention that they had found some wreckage and some old prescription medication. Bloke at Barrington said he was 'quietly confident'.... But as I said, been nothing yet in the media.

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:02 pm

I think you will find it was no wreckage and yes a pill bottle.

I was involved, providing comms for BWRS and working with Police Comms.

Was debriefed by Police Commmander no mention of wreckage. Only pill bottle.

You never know there may be a different announcement but the word of wreckage would have got around like, pardon the insensitivity, wild fire.

ST
Scotty wrote:
Bigfella237 wrote:G'day Garry,

Andrew
There has been nothing in the news, but while the search was underway one of the RFS blokes in control of his troops at Barrington was talking with another RFS bloke at the Springwood fires using the GRN. There was mention that they had found some wreckage and some old prescription medication. Bloke at Barrington said he was 'quietly confident'.... But as I said, been nothing yet in the media.