Hurracane Sandy - USA

matthewn1983

Hurracane Sandy - USA

Post by matthewn1983 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Bit late, but for those following events in the USA (via Radioreference..oops Broadcastify and live tv streaming)

https://www.facebook.com/FdnyIncidents?ref=stream
Providing live updates including images/videos from firegrounds.

Feel free to post any other links of interest as this will obviously go on for a few days at peak, and weeks of clean up etc.

That particular stream copped in excess of 6,600 listeners - Must be a record! From the few hours i listened to the FDNY via those streams, hats off to them, handled themselves extremely well considering the circumstances, hope agencies in Australia are following with great interest on how to deal with such events. My main notice was how calmly the dispatchers/radio operators were dealing with the amount of jobs.

NYPD ESU Truck 1 responded to a hotel in Lower Manhattan to secure a loose glass balcony pane that threatened to break or be blown off and fall 21 stories. Tethered for safety by Det. Robert Stosch to a column inside the building, Det. James Coll worked in the windy and wet conditions to remove the entire panel and bring it inside. The thick, laminated glass weighed approximately 60 pounds. No one was injured.

freqwaves

Re: Hurracane Sandy - USA

Post by freqwaves » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:07 pm

So their radio network didn't get damaged & stayed powered?

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi all,

Was a credit to the operators of all services over there to stay as calm as they did. I was on,y in NY a fortnight ago and even on a average Tuesday night when I was there, it's just so busy. Yet they are always calm. It's impossible to listen to all channels you miss too much.
I win the poor buggers all the best there going to need it
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

cartman

Post by cartman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 am

The scenario that has just unfolded actually could be worse - i remember seeing on Seven "Mate" (Ch73) a couple of years ago about a direct hit by a major hurricane striking New York with storm surge as high as 28 feet (about 15 feet higher than this time). In fact soil core samples in exposed marsh areas in the locale suggest that over the last thousand or so years the Northeast corner of USA has been repeatedly hit by hurricanes, as each event leaves a slab of sand based on the hurricane's intensity. One wonders what a direct hit will do.

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview