Coming soon, Broadcastify.com

matthewn1983

Coming soon, Broadcastify.com

Post by matthewn1983 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm

There is a few members on this forum who supply feeds to RadioReference, and also assuming alot of users who listen to the streams as well, I won't re-post the whole thread, but heres whats happening (from RR). Feel free to comment, my big problem with this is paying $7/month for archive access. When it was all included in Premium Membership of the RR Forum, feed suppliers will obviously retain benefits.
I'm pleased to announce that on October 15th, 2012, we will be spinning off the live audio feeds on RadioReference.com to a new entity called Broadcastify.com. This will allow us to better focus RadioReference.com on it's core service, to be a reference source. Broadcastify will provide a stand alone entity to focus on the live audio feeds. You can see what the site will look like via the attached screenshot.

Read the entire thread here
http://forums.radioreference.com/commun ... y-com.html

cartman

Re: Coming soon, Broadcastify.com

Post by cartman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 pm

RR member WZ1 sums up succinctly:
I think what annoys people the most is that the database and the audio feeds were built and provided by members for free.. often at a loss.. only to be sold and profited. Has anyone noticed that people dont bother submitting too much information anymore? What is the benefit to me if I find a new frequency or system, submit it and then have to pay to download it to my scanner? Eventually the free content will run dry.

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

$7 a month ouch $7 a year would be much better even then...
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 am

~ Eventually the free content will run dry.
As will anything worth listening to as the RR feeds force agencies to roll-out encryption; and I think Lindsay C. Blayton the third realizes this, that's why he's trying to get a few more million in the bank now before his well runs dry?

Andrew

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:59 am

Bigfella237 wrote:
~ Eventually the free content will run dry.
As will anything worth listening to as the RR feeds force agencies to roll-out encryption; and I think Lindsay C. Blayton the third realizes this, that's why he's trying to get a few more million in the bank now before his well runs dry?
Andrew
Andrew,

Hear hear.

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

cartman

Post by cartman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 pm

This "broadcastify.com" issue is certainly causing a lot of heat for Lindsay ... he has just closed the thread.
What is a hobby for 99.9% of us is a business for him
He has made a business decision for himself and I suspect the punters (audio providers) will make their own personal decision for themselves
This maybe a important turning point in the life of RR because he needs the trust and support of the hobbist in order to provide his services
In getting his own way on this issue, people may see that they are being used rather than providing a service for the wider scanner community
My three cents worth from the perspective of being a former RR db admin

Grant

Good points made vansigint98661.

I'm sorry if I come across as arrogant in my responses, however I think a majority of that is how those who disagree with me perceive my responses. I'm not trying to be a jerk, or respond in an arrogant fashion.

But the reality is this.

1) We are moving forward. There will be those that disagree, and I cannot change that. Just because someone doesn't get their way doesn't equal me having an arogant, intransigent attitude. I've got a job to do.

2) RadioReference.com and Broadcastify are two separate, stand alone entities. They may at some point be owned by two entirely separate organizations. We are divesting entirely the live audio components to Broadcastify, and that means that there won't be RadioReference premium access granted to feed providers. It is that simple, they are now going to be separate going concerns moving foward.

Additionally,

Quote:
That being said, the above quote reminds me of discussions with bosses in the past. You know, when you ask for a raise because your bills increase but your salary hasn't in ten years. Or when asking for benefits that are not provided like healthcare.
The most important thing to remember is that it isn't about your livelihood in this case, it is about mine. I'm the one that has to make the hard choices on how we manage and operate this business, and I'm the one that must personally cut the checks for $12,000/month to keep this site and community running.

One final thought, I've personally responded to almost every item raised, and I've given hard thought to all the feedback. I've listened to each of you. Many businesses owners don't take the time to explain changes, answer questions, and respond to very aggressive criticism. I think the community is fortunate that we allow discourse and active feedback. With that said, and many will take this as an arrogant obstinate statement, but it is time to move on.

(closing thread)
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 pm

cartman wrote:This "broadcastify.com" issue is certainly causing a lot of heat for Lindsay ... he has just closed the thread.
What is a hobby for 99.9% of us is a business for him
He has made a business decision for himself and I suspect the punters (audio providers) will make their own personal decision for themselves
This maybe a important turning point in the life of RR because he needs the trust and support of the hobbist in order to provide his services
In getting his own way on this issue, people may see that they are being used rather than providing a service for the wider scanner community
My three cents worth from the perspective of being a former RR db admin

Grant
Good points made vansigint98661.
I'm sorry if I come across as arrogant in my responses, however I think a majority of that is how those who disagree with me perceive my responses. I'm not trying to be a jerk, or respond in an arrogant fashion. But the reality is this. 1) We are moving forward. There will be those that disagree, and I cannot change that. Just because someone doesn't get their way doesn't equal me having an arogant, intransigent attitude. I've got a job to do. 2) RadioReference.com and Broadcastify are two separate, stand alone entities. They may at some point be owned by two entirely separate organizations. We are divesting entirely the live audio components to Broadcastify, and that means that there won't be RadioReference premium access granted to feed providers. It is that simple, they are now going to be separate going concerns moving foward. Additionally, Quote: That being said, the above quote reminds me of discussions with bosses in the past. You know, when you ask for a raise because your bills increase but your salary hasn't in ten years. Or when asking for benefits that are not provided like healthcare. The most important thing to remember is that it isn't about your livelihood in this case, it is about mine. I'm the one that has to make the hard choices on how we manage and operate this business, and I'm the one that must personally cut the checks for $12,000/month to keep this site and community running. One final thought, I've personally responded to almost every item raised, and I've given hard thought to all the feedback. I've listened to each of you. Many businesses owners don't take the time to explain changes, answer questions, and respond to very aggressive criticism. I think the community is fortunate that we allow discourse and active feedback. With that said, and many will take this as an arrogant obstinate statement, but it is time to move on. (closing thread)
From my point of view, I have long had a problem with RR. He sucks the information in from the scanning community, sets himself up as the so called, but doubtful, world authority on scanning, the has the hide to sell the information back to those who supplied it. It appears that the site is not returning the dividened that he wants so therefore as Andrew points out, is trying to make another million before retirement.

I know what it is like to produce a product for sale to scanner enthusiasts, for a number of years I compiled and sold Railscan. And yes I took information and sold it. But at the end of the day I made on average enough to cover the cost of printing (which is huge I might add), postage and or shipping, with about $200 profit, I did it as a labour of love not to make millions.

My rant has ended.

Russell

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 pm

two things,,

firstly,, I wonder what all the iPhone app users are going to do for their feeds, because they mostly all come from RR

secondly,, its about time for Railscan to be reborn Russell LOL
Happily Scanning Since 1983

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Garry wrote: its about time for Railscan to be reborn Russell LOL
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Russell

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 pm

During an American TV news report on the Aug 5 Sikh Temple shooting in Wisconsin, they ran some emergency services radio audio for dramatic effect. During the audio, they had a credit for the source of the audio. I took the picture off the screen below.

It says - 'Courtesy:RadioReference.com'

I haven't read the terms and conditions of the RR scanner stream site, but does RR get paid for supplying this audio? Who's audio stream was it? Maybe RR just asks that the audio source be credited for the free website publicity. I don't know....?

Mike