ivahri

Re: Paul Budde Blog on PMR November 2010

Post by ivahri » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

centralcoastscanman wrote:
cartman wrote:Interesting discussion found here

Grant

http://www.buddeblog.com.au/frompaulsde ... australia/

PS
What are the actual 9 whole of state networks referred to ?
RFS, SES, police, ambos, firies are 5 that i can think of
NSWFB, NSWRFS, NSWSES, State Forrests, NSWAS, NSW Police, NSW Health(Seperate pmr systems at each hospital), NPWS

I'm not sure what the 9th one would be but these are the government organisations i'm aware of that have their own pmr system.
Disclaimer : - The above list is in no order its just how they came into my head as I was typing this post.

There really is only one- NSW Police. NSWAS is pretty big. RFS is a collection of a large number of small systems- they don't have a state wide network in the true sense. NSWFB has a big chunk missing where the GRN lies- I don't hear Paul Budde applauding responsible agencies... ummm! National Parks is a non-compliant hotch potch of systems while the SES are a work in progress. The biggest network is the GRN...

Cheers,

Richard
Last edited by ivahri on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 pm

I agree there are alot of agenices making an effort to get their comms sorted out, there are some that I believe(and will stand corrected) aren't in any hurry until they are forced to get their comms in order...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:29 pm

But that will never change as different agencies rank the need for communications differently. Some are happy to just use mobile phones, nothing wrong with that if they do the job. But if you follow his logic there will be a single, massive state P25 system serving all agencies. To what standard do you engineer it to? Police of course... so try convincing the local RFS units that they should be paying a private investment company (read: Macquarie Bank) $100+ per radio per month to talk through a couple of repeaters. These guys don't live in the real world, or he can't see past the money he could make from consulting for them.

Cheers,

Richard

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:44 pm

agree, there are some that mobile phone's do suffice but those other agencies that aren't using mobile phones that are refusing to go onto the grn for whatever reason need to have their butt's kicked especially if the grn does meet their operational requirements...

SES for example i got told a couple of weeks ago we are to use mobile phones to pass job information between LHQ and the truck rather than passing it over the air. So if all goes to plan the only traffic you will hear on the ses channels is units calling up saying completed rfa number 1234567 or asking their LHQ to phone the truck...

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:03 am

centralcoastscanman wrote:SES for example i got told a couple of weeks ago we are to use mobile phones to pass job information between LHQ and the truck rather than passing it over the air. So if all goes to plan the only traffic you will hear on the ses channels is units calling up saying completed rfa number 1234567 or asking their LHQ to phone the truck...
Which begs the question, why are they allowed to do this when they have a perfectly good radio system at their disposal? Politics? Distrust of the GRN? Personal bias against the GRN? Seems to me to be poor management.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:01 am

I'm not sure of the exact reason but it makes absolutely no sense...

Our Regional DC has some very strange ideas when it comes to GRN comms and told everyone that if he catches us misusing
a grn portable he will disable it on the grn and not re-enable it...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:49 pm

This comment of Budde's attracted my attention:

The UK did bite the bullet a few years ago, to roll out a nationwide whole-of-government (WoG) network and is now reaping the economic and operational benefits from this decision.

Is it? Is Mr Budde in a parallel universe to the rest of us? The last I read is that the UK is in a desperate economic situation- essentially bankrupt and here we have almost all government agencies paying for a privately owned radio network at the very time when these funds are needed for health & other items of direct benefit to the British public. If anything this demonstrates the reverse- that forking out billions of pounds has done stuff all for the national economy and the operational benefits are still not universal. Some are benefiting, others wouldn't even notice an improvement.

I think Mr Budde's nose is growing...

Cheers,

Richard

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 pm

ivahri wrote:This comment of Budde's attracted my attention: The UK did bite the bullet a few years ago, to roll out a nationwide whole-of-government (WoG) network and is now reaping the economic and operational benefits from this decision. Is it? Is Mr Budde in a parallel universe to the rest of us? The last I read is that the UK is in a desperate economic situation- essentially bankrupt and here we have almost all government agencies paying for a privately owned radio network at the very time when these funds are needed for health & other items of direct benefit to the British public. If anything this demonstrates the reverse- that forking out billions of pounds has done stuff all for the national economy and the operational benefits are still not universal. Some are benefiting, others wouldn't even notice an improvement. I think Mr Budde's nose is growing...Cheers,Richard
Richard,

I read somewhere recently that a number of UK police services are steadfastly refusing to use the Airwave system, instead going to their own PMR. Citing costs, coverage and access issues as the main reasons. Also the number of emergency service workers sueing Airwave for RF related problems (illness) is considerably and is increasing yearly. Whether they have a case or not, do we want to go down that path?

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Rusty,

I've been following the Airwave system since it first started to be developed & I was in awe of it initially. The sheer size in base stations and the incredible cost was mind blowing to me. But now I'm starting to wonder whether it is actually proof that no matter how much money you throw at anything, you cannot expect that you will satisfy everyone. The problem is that the bean counters think that a radio is a radio, and that one person or occupation is no different to another- so you can just choose one radio & technology & it will suit all. They are dreaming... I'm not advocating mindless duplication- just that no rational person would put all their eggs in one basket. Budde I suspect is starting to stir in the hope that come the March Revolution the new government will be more likely to privatise anything they can, particularly when they see how broke the state really is. You can understand why private companies would love to get their hands on a monopoly of government communications- like in the UK. But you & I know they will only be interested in where the population is & not in the country where there is no money to be made.

Cheers,

Richard

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:54 pm

ivahri wrote:this demonstrates the reverse- that forking out billions of pounds has done stuff all for the national economy and the operational benefits are still not universal. Some are benefiting, others wouldn't even notice an improvement.
Just like the bloody NBN will be like..