Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

BrisbaneScan

Re: Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

Post by BrisbaneScan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:12 pm

for your information the Contract Winner has been announced as Telstra/Motorola Solutions

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... dy-talking
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

cartman

Post by cartman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:03 pm

A little birdie overnight told me to look under client number 20012320 and lo and behold ... There is the (Qld) Government WIreless Network (GWN) .... 131 licences uploaded in the last week or so in the 420mhz band
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:19 am

one site is now online and further are supposed to be coming online shortly
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:26 am

BrisbaneScan wrote:one site is now online and further are supposed to be coming online shortly
Any further info on the type if system? I'll take a guess at P25, likely Phase 2. Is it fully encrypted or are some users in the clear?

I'll also be keen to see if they implement a talkgroup and user ID structure as per the NSW P25 system. Has anybody up that way run UniTrunker or similar yet on the system?

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Scotty wrote:Any further info on the type if system? I'll take a guess at P25, likely Phase 2. Is it fully encrypted or are some users in the clear?

I'll also be keen to see if they implement a talkgroup and user ID structure as per the NSW P25 system. Has anybody up that way run UniTrunker or similar yet on the system?
Oh come on. The post from BrisbaneScan said "one site is now online", and seeing the frequencies only appeared on the ACMA Database last weekend (30 Nov / 1 Dec), it certainly doesn't give much opportunity for anyone to determine if it is fully encrypted, or not.

However, if one is to believe all the media hype, the system is P25, Phase II, and fully encrypted.

--
Sigint

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:02 pm

The test site is of course P25 Phase 2, and given the ever increasing demands on RF spectrum (a diminishing resource, just like fossil fuels) the price can only go up, so naturally anything that provides better spectral efficiency (and the associated cost savings in terms of OPEX) can only be a good thing. Taxes rarely go down right? and Phase 2 doubles your call capacity.

As for crypto, and as always with APCO P25, (from a purely technical perspective), encryption is pretty much transparent to the network itself. It's the end user agencies decision as to weather or not it is used. Of course there could be a government mandate to force all users to encrypt, but thats a people/politics decision, not a technical one, so it is incorrect to provide speculation that implies that encryption is a network wide function when the system is only in the testing or proof of concept phase...

Cheers,
Matt

PS - What surprises me the most is that NSWGRN doesn't use simulcast, or Phase 2 yet. VIC MMR seems to be a bit ahead of NSW in that regard - in that they are using trunked simulcasting AND phase 2 on their network 8-)

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm

I was in Brissy today and had a chance to run Unitrunker on the one site I found. No peers or alt cc's found, no groups or rids affiliated while monitoring so it looks like it might be the first site just setup:

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Wonky wrote:I was in Brissy today and had a chance to run Unitrunker on the one site I found. No peers or alt cc's found, no groups or rids affiliated while monitoring so it looks like it might be the first site just setup:

Am I reading that right? Phase 1 without authentication?

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Wonky wrote:I was in Brissy today and had a chance to run Unitrunker on the one site I found. No peers or alt cc's found, no groups or rids affiliated while monitoring so it looks like it might be the first site just setup:
What version of UniTrunker are you using?

--
Sigint

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Sig, Unitrunker is v 1.0.27.9 which I think is the latest.

R I was a bit surprised to see the P1 also :?

This might be a decoding issue on the unitrunker end of things, when next in Brissy I will record some cc data and forward it to Rick to get his thoughts on it...