Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

cartman

Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

Post by cartman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:52 am

Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

citabria
Site Admin

Re: Queensland Government Radio Network tender/proposal

Post by citabria » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:16 am

Geee..

I wonder which big vendor that starts in "M" and ends in "otorola" will get the contract...!?

Cheers,
Matt

cartman

Post by cartman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:46 am

Pretty obvious that it will be a P25 network for the sake of the emergency services alone.
TETRA, NXDN and TRBO wont get a look in on a network that size and low population density
Tait will give them (the big M) a run for their money.
So I reckon it will be Tait vs Motorola for the prize
Presumably 400Mhz band to tie in with NSW, Victoria, ACT and SA

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Grant, my only comment on that is that it will be interesting to see if Tait can put forward a competitive trunking proposal to compete with Moto. I don't want to whip the anti-Moto forces into a frenzy but I am yet to see any other vendor do more than talk about having the ability to implement the type & size of network we are going to be talking about with this. They do lots of talking- no doubt about that- but not sure that they can walk like they talk. Not knocking Tait at all- but large trunking systems are not their strong suit. There are other potential players- like Harris- but do they want to enter into what will be a tough bidding war with Moto?

But wouldn't it be great if they could start in the SE corner & expand into northern NSW with the aid of NSW money.

Cheers,

Richard

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 pm

ivahri wrote:Grant, my only comment on that is that it will be interesting to see if Tait can put forward a competitive trunking proposal to compete with Moto. I don't want to whip the anti-Moto forces into a frenzy but I am yet to see any other vendor do more than talk about having the ability to implement the type & size of network we are going to be talking about with this. They do lots of talking- no doubt about that- but not sure that they can walk like they talk. Not knocking Tait at all- but large trunking systems are not their strong suit. There are other potential players- like Harris- but do they want to enter into what will be a tough bidding war with Moto? But wouldn't it be great if they could start in the SE corner & expand into northern NSW with the aid of NSW money. Cheers, Richard
Maybe, just maybe we will see seemless coverage from Adelaide (or South Australia) to Melbourne (or Victoria) then Sydney (or NSW) and onto Brisbane (or Queensland). Not necessarily for everyday, but when circumstances like Ash Wednesday etc dictate. Crims, fires and floods don't stop at borders why should radio coverage? But then I have always been a supporter for the abolition of the states.

What I don't see a need for is the ability of someone in Adelaide to talk to someone in Brisbane, but I suppose a case could be mounted for that.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

news

Post by news » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 pm

rustynswrail wrote:What I don't see a need for is the ability of someone in Adelaide to talk to someone in Brisbane, but I suppose a case could be mounted for that.R
It can be done on Zeon ;)

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:42 am

news wrote:It can be done on Zeon ;)
I guess it can be done on any system, all you have to do is RoIP a couple of talkgroups together and away you go, you could do it with two conventional repeaters!

If this does go through (and I assume it will take many years to complete) I can definitely see more federal users moving onto these systems, as Rusty said, once SA gets their P25 upgrade done there could possibly be coverage for 90% of the country's population with a single talkgroup?

BTW, that coverage map is very impressive, NSW & VIC will end up looking like the poor-coverage cousins when compared to SA & QLD! Take note Barry O'F%#kwit

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:26 am

Your last sentence was uncalled for Andrew... he doesn't determine telecommunications policy in NSW so bringing in your own political bias devalues your contribution.

Drawing theoretical maps is easy- finding the money to (a) build it and then (b) maintain it is another matter. NSW is hardly the poor cousin given the area & population the existing GRN serves. And at the end of the day it isn't a race- it should be focused on what its agencies want... and I suspect right now meeting Police requirements in the Sydney region is more of a priority than expanding into far more lightly populated areas. Queensland will find out all about conflicting requirements as it implements its GRN.

Cheers

Richard

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:06 am

I have no political bias, in my opinion all politicians are as bad as each other!

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 am

Well Andrew you can dislike someone without being rude about it. But throwing a politician's name into the issue is unhelpful as 99.999% of politicians would not give a stuff about a GRN- they wouldn't even know what the letters stand for. So why would Barry "take note"? NSW is never going to have a state wide GRN, neither is Queensland or South Australia- they are just too big, too sparsely populated, and BROKE to warrant such a waste of money. Only someone totally ignorant of what it costs to build & maintain large radio networks would believe that it is a good thing to provide a trunking site to a population that you could fit in a minibus. NSW were stupid to trunk out to Lightning Ridge... and that was not a decision made by polies, that was made by plump pussies with few brain cells.

Richard