Vertel Team Talk TETRA

Longreach

Re: Vertel Team Talk TETRA

Post by Longreach » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Fair call, just seems to be the preffered system in the US?
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:35 pm

P25 or Tetra?

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Longreach wrote:Ok so why isn't it profitable? Seems the US can make 800mhz trunking work and work well?
Cheers
Matt
US trunking is P25... there is quite a difference in the capital cost of a TETRA network compared to P25. For a start it requires substantially more sites. It is great where you have high population density (like India and parts of Asia) but I doubt that even Sydney has the density to make it financially stronger than P25 or the other commercial digital alternatives. Vertel are going to have to build it, operate it, and then sell capacity on it at a price that is competitive with the existing networks. It would have a potential niche in the intrinsically safe industries (because of the radios being very low power), but I'm not sure how these are going to pay for a network with coverage in areas where they don't need that.

Richard

news

Post by news » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:23 pm

ivahri wrote:One & the same... 800MHz is EMBARGOED! No new licences being issued... unless Vertel hold current licences they aren't going to get new ones.
Vertel has heaps of 800mhz freq's they already have.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Fair enough then!

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:50 pm

news wrote:Vertel has heaps of 800mhz freq's they already have.
I don't see any frequencies listed for Vertel in the standard 800 MHz Trunked Radio band of 865.0125 to 869.9875 MHz.

--
Sigint

cartman

Post by cartman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 am

ivahri wrote:
cartman wrote:I sat down and looked at what TETRA frequencies were active and what was spare in the Sydney region and got the distinct impression that Motorola has under-invested in putting up a network. They have decided to put up a certain number of transmitters and no more. There are numerous free frequencies to add extra sites if they wanted to put in saturation coverage for their portables and bases. Somewhere they have made an economic decision ... so many transmitters and no more. So long as they have this approach they will continue to have patchy coverage.

Grant
in Sunny Constanta, Romania without a scanner
Grant,

Hope you are enjoying Romania... it comes down to what revenue it is generating. Why would Moto invest more in a network that is not profitable?

Richard
Your comments make sense to me concerning over-investment.
In Romania there are several buildings that i have seen that have been abandoned ie apartment complexes left unfinished .... no cashflow equals end of project.
Everything is just left and abandoned
Scanners are illegal in Austria and i am fairly sure the Romanian authorities would take a dim view re scanners given it was communist only 20yrs ago
Wonderful weather, food and people
Their food is cheap but the wages are very low compared to ours

Grant

ps the romanian drivers are all formula 1 standard - never seen such incredible high speed driving
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview