NSW Police Broadcasting On GRN

BerryV

Re: NSW Police Broadcasting On GRN

Post by BerryV » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:13 am

citabria wrote:How about this....

Thnk of this scenario - what if instead of switching to GRN, the two networks were "consolidated" into one... surely theres plenty of NSW Police comms gear that could be converted to work on GRN?

Cheers,
citabria

by the time they switch to the grn, the life cycle on the repeater gear will have been up.

xts5000 radios will be needed very very soon due to no channel capacity left in the radios ;)

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:57 pm

JAFO wrote: By switching across to the GRN, the Police will no longer have to pay out on Transmitter Site Leases, Landline cost and major Radio Equipment repairs / replacements, as that would be the responsibility of the NSW GRN, so even with the cost of affiliating all those Police Radios to the GRN, the police were still looking at possible savings of around $2M per month.
1/2 the costs = 1/2 the coverage too.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:21 am

I have been keeping an eye out for the Police Testing on the GRN the last couple of days. Will admit Like my interest in Police Traffic before they went to Digital, I stopped listening for their Transmissions on the GRN after a week or so, so thought I would switch them back on to see if they were still testing, but has been very quiet the last couple of days.

So, has anyone heard them in the past week or so, or has it all gone quiet again?
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:51 am

JimK wrote:
JAFO wrote: By switching across to the GRN, the Police will no longer have to pay out on Transmitter Site Leases, Landline cost and major Radio Equipment repairs / replacements, as that would be the responsibility of the NSW GRN, so even with the cost of affiliating all those Police Radios to the GRN, the police were still looking at possible savings of around $2M per month.
1/2 the costs = 1/2 the coverage too.
JimK,

That may be the case at the moment, but from what I was told the Police will not switch over to the GRN till the GRN Management Authority can guarantee the GRN coverage is the same or better then what the Police Metropolitan PMR Network coverage is.

So if we look at the last 12 months, we have seen some major upgrading of the GRN Network undertaken to expend the GRN Footprint and provide better coverage in know blackspot areas. I know from personal experience that the GRN has better coverage in some areas then the Police Network does, but likewise there are areas where the Police coverage is better then the GRN.

The idea behind the GRN was for all Government Services to be on the One Whole of Government Radio Network and all those Government Services Radio Communications Budgets to be pooled into the one Radio System – the GRN.

Yes I know the Government being a Government will not allocate the same level of funds of 15 different Government Departments into the one Radio Network Budget, but even if they allocated the equivalent funds of 7 Departments into GRN Funding, that’s still 6 times more then what 1 Government Department would have received.

I know just from my experience over the past 10 years as an end user, the GRN Network has improved greatly in both reliability and coverage. So if the Coverage does meet or exceed that of the NSW Police Radio Network, then the end users will be provided with a better network then what we have now, and hopefully the GRN will continue to expend even more in the future with more available funding and need for its expansion.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

JimK

Post by JimK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:20 pm

I am not sure how many millions the police put into the digital network in the GSa... but if that money was all placed into GRN it maybe a decent GRN for them?!

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 pm

JimK wrote:I am not sure how many millions the police put into the digital network in the GSa... but if that money was all placed into GRN it maybe a decent GRN for them?!
Overall, I was given a figure of $4.5m per month that the NSW Police spend on the up-keep of the Police Radio System, but I can't remember if this was for the whole state or just Metro.

It was believed that some where in the place of $2m per month could be saved by switching to the GRN.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:43 pm

$4.5M per month F***en hell i would hope that be nsw wide
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

JimK

Post by JimK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 pm

A lot goes to Telstra and Soul for DDS lines which finish up next anyway. A lot for site fees.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 am

news wrote:Just wait until NSWP GD's flick the staged swith to the NSWGRN in the very near future, anyone monitoring will see a VERY VERY heavy load of TG's that are active on nearly every site on the system(even heavier than ambo 7m/pm sign on time). i.e. the major VKG TG's in sydney metro will be active on 80%+ towers across the state 24/7 100+kms outside of the metro area GRN sites

No further comments from me, Its just crazy that this has taken so long to transition for GD's who cop the front of the community issues every day........
Is the NSWGRN really ready for the PF? I'm not in the metro area but I still haven't heard of any new sites to fill-in coverage black-spots or increased site capacity to accommodate the "VERY VERY heavy load" that's coming soon, unless that load is gonna be using TDMA?

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 am

Bigfella237 wrote: Is the NSWGRN really ready for the PF? I'm not in the metro area but I still haven't heard of any new sites to fill-in coverage black-spots or increased site capacity to accommodate the "VERY VERY heavy load" that's coming soon, unless that load is gonna be using TDMA?

Andrew
Those who monitor the GRN know that it still does not have the capacity, the handheld coverage nor the user priority required by the cops. It's been said many, many times before that any switch to he GRN would depend heavily on those factors.

Short of the current police users on the GRN, it is still simply not an option for them to move their main comms over.