Tait gear approved for use on GRN

Wonky

Tait gear approved for use on GRN

Post by Wonky » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 pm

pks

Re: Tait gear approved for use on GRN

Post by pks » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:18 am

I wonder if Tait gear will allow monitoring of P25 trunking without affiliating.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:09 am

I wonder how long before Icom makes inroads to the GRN too given their recent rise in P25 gear?
good to see one supplier hasn't got the monopoly.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 am

makes no sense what so ever if they will be able to join the grn without affiliating as that will cause even more problems with un-authorised radios being online

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 am

It wasn't that simple guys... Tait developed an Advanced System Key that satisfied the security requirements that network users (and I was on that committee) required. Cut out the BS about "monopoly", this is a P25 OPEN standard, but that doesn't mean that every Joe Bloggs that produces a radio should be allowed to market radios without appropriate security safeguards. Peoples lives depend on this (along with a massive $ investment in the new network). Can't say more than that but other vendors expressed interest too & if they meet the standards Tait did then I'm sure they will also be permitted.

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:31 am

And the answer to your question is NO... geez put your brain in gear! If the radio doesn't automatically affiliate how does the network know that there is a radio switched to that talk-group on that site? What, do you want every call to be broadcast on every site? Now that might cause a problem or two...

Buy a bleedin' scanner... authentication is coming so your fancy new illegal radio is going to be ornamental only very very soon. If the radio's serial number & ID doesn't match, authentication WILL find it.

Cheers,

Richard

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:03 am

ivahri wrote:And the answer to your question is NO... geez put your brain in gear! If the radio doesn't automatically affiliate how does the network know that there is a radio switched to that talk-group on that site? What, do you want every call to be broadcast on every site? Now that might cause a problem or two...

Buy a bleedin' scanner... authentication is coming so your fancy new illegal radio is going to be ornamental only very very soon. If the radio's serial number & ID doesn't match, authentication WILL find it.
Cheers,
Richard
All of the later p25 moto radios are able to monitor the GRN without affiliating just fine. yes you can select specific talkgroups to listen to and the radio will rx perfectly just like you are live on the network. lucky for most of us that live in metro sydney, all of the large towers pass the major talkgroups.

line up a scanner and a correctly programmed xts5000 and the xts will win every time!.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:21 am

Frankly I couldn't give a stuff Berry... there have been enough warnings about the introduction of authentication so if people are stupid enough to illegally program GRN talkgroups in to a radio that auto-affiliates then they deserve what happens next. Illegal clones waste public money and put lives at risk- only in the past month I had to chase a clone that was causing a major appliance to lose comms at random & without warning- now some here would get their jollies & think that is funny. I don't think the spouses & families of those on that appliance would agree... we got that illegal radio & we are now monitoring such activity every day... time better spent doing other things but while people get told that "this radio doesn't transmit" and that it is OK to put GRN talkgroups in radios then I guess we will keep doing this. Authentication is coming.

Cheers,

Richard

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:14 pm

ivahri wrote:It wasn't that simple guys... Tait developed an Advanced System Key that satisfied the security requirements that network users (and I was on that committee) required. Cut out the BS about "monopoly", this is a P25 OPEN standard, but that doesn't mean that every Joe Bloggs that produces a radio should be allowed to market radios without appropriate security safeguards. Peoples lives depend on this (along with a massive $ investment in the new network). Can't say more than that but other vendors expressed interest too & if they meet the standards Tait did then I'm sure they will also be permitted.

Cheers,

Richard
Thats good to know they have created their own security mechanism's that will keep things intact.
I don't see the point myself in programming up an XTS to monitor GRN, as a scanner is far easier to program and much cheaper to purchase brand new.
As a side issue, not sure if your able to talk publically on it but I thought you had to have an ASK to be able to program a radio to get it onto the grn and the ASK could only be purchased from GCIO(or whatever they are called) directly therefore eliminating the rogue programming(in theory)

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:04 pm

What's the compatibility like between the Tait's and Motorola's? Is one brand able to direct call another brand?

I would think the Tait’s would mostly be used by smaller agencies, if for no other reason than it would probably be easier for users to operate/service/program/purchase accessories etc for only one brandof radio, and all the larger users are well and truly covered by the big M.